PS4 Tankadin (max HP Courage build)

by Teeps@tepes1974 on June 14, 2017
Oathbound Paladin

PS4 Tankadin (max HP Courage build)

PREAMBLE

Hoy hoy! Teeps (The Sanctuary) here! And this is my first posting of a build here… criticisms encouraged and welcome!

First off, this is pretty damned close to Trzebiat’s build. For those of you on Facebook, you can find a Pally specific page by searching Neverwinter Paladins (Healadins and Tankadin).

All sorts of other great guides here discuss race choice, so, I shall forgo that. I did spring for Dragonborne and kept rolling until I felt I got the highest possible Con and Cha stats.

With this build, you want to take damage. This is the reason we are stacking HP and not Defence. Taking damage causes us to gain Power, this power is shared via Aura Gifts. We do not want to mitigate damage… we want so many hit points that when Orcus hits us for 500k damage, we are laughing because of the huge spike in damage we are doing!

Teeps Tank Stats 1

STAT PRIORITY

Simply put, on my rolls, as per above, I went for Con and Cha. For everything else on my toon I am stacking:

HP > Power (the rest is incidental)

All of my gems on my toon are Radiants, less my Armour which currently has a R12 Azure (looking to swap that out for a Radiant there too).

Now, I am stacking massive HP specifically because I want the biggest possible pool to feed my Courage aura, and per above, I want to take massive amounts of damage! See the link below for a quick explanation of the Courage and how it works:

Aura of Courage

I am fortunate enough to have a Tensor’s Disk (4K Recovery), and I am in a guild with Power and Defence and Life Steal boons, which gives me some fairly decent stats:

PET CHOICE

The pet that is my go to summoned, is my Harper Bard, Julian.

The pet is where I am stacking my secondary stats, Critical Strike and Armour Penetration (boy do I have some work to do there!).

Julian is an interesting companion, in that he is providing me with HP, buffing the team and de-buffing bad guys in PVE.

Harper Bard Buffer

• Song of Rest – A soothing song increases owner’s Maximum hit points by 10%;
  • Discordant Discouragement – The Bard plays a discordant note that reduces the amount of damage the of damage the target deals. Foes who are below 50% health also have their damage resistance reduced. The potency of this power scales with the Bard’s level.
  • Bardic Inspiration – The Bard plays a soothing refrain that empowers allies. Allies who are above 50% Health have their Power and Critical Strike increased. Allies who are below 50% Health have their Defence and Deflect increased. The potency of this buff scales with the Bard’s level.

My other companions:

• Fire Archon (legendary);
  • Rust Monster (legendary);
  • Rimefire Golem (legendary); and
  • Energy (epic).

FEATS

So, I prioritized my feats to support the party or raid I am in.

Neverwinter_20170611220220

Heroic

Not going to explain all selections here, pick your own path… I will give a couple of suggestions though, based on what we are trying to do.

Weapon Mastery – Crit chance is good for this build. We do want to crit.

Exemplar’s Haste – Faster recharge of encounters leads to faster recharge of Divine Call and Dailies.

Steadfast – More HP!

Paragon

I went Justice / Light.

Flash of Light – I am here to buff my team! Reduces the team’s cool downs of encounter powers.

Beacon of Hope – Heals for for the team on dailies.

Prism – More heals (I think that Life Steal feeds this!)

Aura Gifts!! – This is why I am here! Allies within 30′ of me gain 25% of my power.

BOONS

Ok, there are far far too many to discuss them all. So, guidelines:

Below 3000 item level, it is good and probably necessary to stack Defence and Deflect. I am happy to change my mind on this, but, I am suggesting that, until you have approaching 180k HP, Orcus and higher will be tough as hell to survive on HP alone.

Above 3200 ish (your mileage will vary, ergo the gap) consider dumping Defence and Deflect for Power and Crit… also, every boon that offers HP and any that offers Control Strength are excellent choices for a tank.

ENCHANTMENTS

Lots of deep discussion everywhere on this one. I am currently using a Transcendent Negation (damage mitigation, incoming healing and added recovery). I am open to discussion on an improvement over this to add damage and or more HP.

Weapon, currently I am equipped with a Rank 8 Lightning. I am driving towards a Transcendent Feytouched as I love that de-buff and added damage. This will be my priority after I am finished levelling my Bondings.

POWERS ROTATION

At Wills, I almost always have Radiant Strike and Shielding Strike equipped now. Oath Strike in reserve for when I have that over eager crit monkey that rips aggro off of me.

Encounters:

Templar’s Wrath should never leave your rotation, does damage and shields you with an HP shield, meaning, you do take damage;

Bane, a great encounter that de-buffs the monsters for damage out and damage in. A fantastic single point encounter, strongly recommended for boss fights.

Binding Oath, more hit points and a good solid taunt.

Burning Light, a solid trash mob and soloing damage causing encounter, a nice AOE effect with a DOT.

Smite, bad guys take good damage and now do less damage to you, this is an AOE effect.

Vow of Enmity, I will use this if I am with a group that out powers me, redirects their threat to me.

Cricle of power, I very rarely use this, as I have a hard time convincing the team to stand on the magic carpet (I swear, I shower monthly).

Auras, per the title of this guide, I am loving Courage, I also use Wisdom a lot, sometimes Protection or Truth. Vengeance gets an honourable mention.

Daily Powers, mostly just use Divine Judgement and Shield of Faith. Occasionally use Heroism.

Rotations:

• When soloing daily grind stuff: Divine Call > Radiant Strike > Templar’s Wrath > Divine Call > Blinding Light > Smite (rinse and repeat as necessary). If there is a large crowd, I cackle manically and pop Divine Judgement. When soloing, I only use Courage and Wisdom.
  • Dungeons and raids, trash mobs: Divine Call > Radiant Strike > Templar’s Wrath > Binding Oath > Divine Call > Smite (rinse and repeat). In dungeons and raids, I accept doing less damage and generally use Shield of Faith.
  • Orcus: Bane x3 > Heroism > Radiant Strike > Divine Call > Templar’s Wrath > Binding Oath > Bane > Shielding Strike as necessary to recharge encounters. Use heroism every time he goes hands up on ya.
  • Jarl Storvald: Bane x 3 (use this to pull away from stairs towards carpet) > Divine Call > Radiant Strike > Binding Oath > Templar’s Wrath. Reapply Bane frequently. Use Shielding Strike to recharge encounters. Use Sanctuary every time you get the dancing arrow above your head.
  • Turtle: face tank this clown and keep taking steam damage – Bane x 3 > Divine Call > Radiant Strike > Templar’s Wrath > Binding Oath > Shielding Strike x 3. Use Shield of Faith on Steam Blasts and Slams as necessary. Coordinate with your friendly DC.

CONCLUSION

Us Pally tanks want to take damage. We need to take damage. Break out your most offensive taunts, call those bad guys names, and wear as little Defensive stat stuff as possible. Think you have enough HP? Nope! Shoot for a million (don’t think that is possible, but screw it! Go for it anyways!). Stack the HP and Power. Stack your pet with Crit and Life Steal.

I want your criticisms. I take advice, critiques and even angry words very well. Keep the discussion going, and let us all take our teams all the way through end game content!

Most importantly, have fun!

comments
  • Guardianofthesofa
    June 15, 2017 at 12:36 pm

Looks like a great build! I have 2 questionable you.

Would you consider using a Tenebrous enchantment since you have such ridiculous hp?

Also the harper Bard on ps4 is extremely expensive still (8 mil ad) do you have any other suggestions for active companions?

• June 15, 2017 at 11:36 pm

Well, for a summoned, a fire archon would work well, as doing more damage is always a must for us. Fire archons go for 800 trade bars or 470k AD for a green. The two ring slots and extra damage is good.

Believe it or not, Sell Sword and Con Artist are amongst the best in the game for our summoned pet. Adds Crit chance and de-buffs targets. Con Artis has three ring slots, which if you are rich enough, you can get Adorable rings on him (lol super rich).

• Warlock Holmes
    June 15, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Love it Teeps! I know a little about OP tanks because a close friend plays as one and he just read through yours…. He loves it. Hes going to switch his up a bit to match your build. See ya around the stronghold.

• Solar71
    June 16, 2017 at 12:36 am

Solid build Teeps. Nice job dude

• Dr. Mrs. The Monarch
    June 17, 2017 at 12:54 am

My Oath Protection runs similar to yours Teeps. I just built hp up with artifacts an use an 8k HP mount bonus fill in the gap from using all radiants in defense slots. If I have that deepknights brig chest piece I would be sitting near your hp max by maybe 3-5k.

I follow some of this build already it is a solid build.

• Silvanous
    June 18, 2017 at 1:38 am

Thanks for posting to MMO – this is indeed very close to Trzebiat’s build (and mine! lol); slight modifications here and there as I’ve gotten to 4k+. I use the Con Artist as mentioned in a response above – it’s my favourite for main. I have 1 adorable ring (not rich – just got it in trade) and felt further adorable rings would lower my defense (which stacks on companions along with ArmPen) so being adorable rings come with x2 offense slots not very practical for a Tankadin.

• Luhizot
    June 19, 2017 at 2:12 pm

Wow. worst choice on pet ever…

• June 19, 2017 at 10:05 pm

You seem confused as to what constructive criticism is. Try looking up the words on dictionary.com

While we are on the topic tho, perhaps you could provide me with feed back with a better choice and explation as to why?

• Luhiz
        June 27, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Yes. u are the only tank on mmo’s history that wants to take damage. Maybe someday we met ingame and I can teach u how to build a pally tank.
        I got more power than you, more defense, more deflect, more recovery and i DONT want to take damage.

• June 28, 2017 at 2:20 am

Come on man. If you are going to troll, at least pretend to be interesting.

• June 28, 2017 at 12:01 pm

This is OP, not GF. Defense and deflect is useless, recovery is not needed for OP. There’s only one way to properly build OP tank and it’s maximizing Power and HP for power share and maximizing damage output.

And yes, you do want to take damage on OP to proc Oath of Protection mechanic.

• Hammerfist OP
          June 30, 2017 at 2:52 am

Luhiz: You really have no idea how OP works in this game, the class mechanics is “When you take damage you gain power proportional to the amount of damage you took” more damage= more temp HP from Templar’s wrath.

• June 30, 2017 at 2:00 am

I’m a little new to the game, is there any advice on the gear I should be going for?

• June 30, 2017 at 10:58 am

Help us out a bit… where about are you in progression? Lvl 70? Access to under dark, or sea of moving ice yet?

Under dark has some good stuff that can be gathered relatively quickly. You can join PUG groups of NDEMO and MDEMO which will get you rings and currency to buy stuff. You will want the under shirt and pants from there till you can get the stuff from SOMI.

Armour… enjoy the suck. You will want to farm oathkeeper’s gear. Boots come from heroics in Bryan Shander. The rest come from FBI.

In SOMI, best way to get Lanolin (in my opinion). Grab a bunch of real world beer, turn on some music and fish. It will bore you to death, but those bottles will pay off. I levelled up most of my gear from refinement stuff I got from fishing bottles. And I got my turtle moults and lanolin that way too… but it was like two months of freaking fishing.

• July 1, 2017 at 3:08 am

Thanks!
        I hit 70 and have access to most if not all, i think. Well I’m glad I like beer so the fishing shouldn’t be too bad, plus I have some podcasts to catch up on.

Thanks again

• Raymond Cheesbro
    July 2, 2017 at 5:31 pm

Was curious which 4 artifacts you are using along with what artifact equipment set you were wearing?

• July 3, 2017 at 3:00 am

Currently wearing Valhalla Set, levelling up Black Ice in the back ground. Artifacts are DC Sigil, Black Ice Beholder, Valhalla Horn (of course) and GWF Sigil. I am working on a Wheel in the background, likely replacing then DC Sigil with it.

I will update tomorrow or the next day. Keep folks from hunting comments for it.

Currently trialling a Con Artist. Checking for difference in survivability and DPS between that and my Harper as my summoned pet. Did three runs with Con artist out tonight, so far, pretty happy.

• John
    July 19, 2017 at 1:41 am

Mount & Insignia Sets?

• July 26, 2017 at 9:37 am

What mounts should I use? I mean, insignia bonuses. And what equipment and artifact sets are viable for this build? Thanks, it would be helpful to know.

• MatD
    July 26, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Switched over to this build and looking at the quickest things I can obtain, would you go orcus set or black ice?

• mriverscards
      August 17, 2017 at 4:41 pm

You more than likely want to use the Con Belt which at Leg adds 4 to Constitution. That being said, you can go with that set which adds 10k HP bonus or mix and match cloaks/artifacts as the Protector Cloak does not have the 4% AP gain. I just recently switched from black ice cloak/Wheel to the Protector Cloack/Lantern for the bonus and am sitting at 301k HP with a Caprese, 318k with Cap and Guild Food.

• October 22, 2017 at 12:29 am

Nice guide, would you mind trying to update it for MOD 12? Id like to see if you’ve made any major changes that would make me want to differ my build or not.