Mod 11 Tankadin
With all the changes recently, we’re somewhat overdue for some mod 11 guides. The build I’m working with was compiled from a couple of places along the way but I can only find is the Mod9 guide from CaptnSpicyPants to offer inspirational credit. I have updated a bunch of sections to be specific to the deflection damage bonuses this build counts on and removed a bunch of PVP recommendations since I know pretty much nothing about that side of the game.
As pointed out by early commentators, this is not necessarily the build you will want for Fangbreaker or master Svard main tank if you are looking for maximum possible hit points or damage. This works for getting to that point but it’s by no means the only viable build getting to end game and is highly specific to mod 11 circumstances. This is focused on leveraging the things you are going to do anyway as a tank by amplifying deflect and area effect damage as much as possible and I’m added known limitations to my recommendations where possible.
CHOOSING YOUR RACE:
- Human- This is for those wanting to utilize more heroic points and 3% more defense over other races
- Sun Elf – This is for those wanting 2% more action point gain and 10% resistance to crowd control effects
- Dragonborn – On initial stat roll you can place +2 on two different stats of your choice (In my case I chose this race and went with Con and Charisma) you also have 3% higher power and critical than that of other races.
- Drow – Debuff Defenses (Note you will have to roll for a decent con and charisma as this is not a race inherit roll)
- Half Elf – Con, Charisma and one other stat attributed on roll also higher deflect and money gains.
- Tiefling – Stat rolls for this build also an option for more DPS (what I rolled with and based this build on)
As a protection paladin our primary focus is tanking and survival you should upon initial roll focus heavily on Constitution (Attributes to health and defense) and secondary Charisma (This attributes to Action Point Gain and Stamina Regeneration or in game terms the time it takes for your Shield to recharge and how quick you can use your daily power.)
As a Human I would focus your +2 roll into Constitution
As a Sun Elf you cannot choose Constitution in this case Charisma is the viable choice
Dragonborn take both stats.
Whichever race you choose your primary stat roll should be your highest, if not balance with secondary, try to go for 18 to 20 upon your rolls.
STAT Goals (in no particular order):
- Defense – The in game effective cap is 80% and your unbuffed target will be in the 50-60% range depending on your ability to generate astral diamonds for upgrading Bonding Runestones.
- Hit Points – Surviving a big hit takes a considerable amount of hit points a comfortable range of HP on a paladin should be above 120K HP but don’t stress on this because almost everything gear wise and boon related is HP based. Also one of your Auras is HP related (Courage)
- Deflect – You’ll get plenty from gear if you use the recommended Shadowclad armor enchantment. Never, ever, should you enchant or deliberately stack this though.
- Power – This stat is an easy stat to obtain anything above 10K power is viable of course increase this based on not sacrificing survivability
- Armor Penetration – the in game PVE cap is 60% keep in mind Paladin threat in its current state is broken, abilities like binding oath or our initial 500% threat bonus do not work, the work around to this is doing damage so aim for 60% but do not sacrifice defense to get there unless you’re over 50% damage resistance unbuffed
- Recovery – This is a very important stat this determines your cool downs on your encounter powers through gear and boons, always take this over regeneration where possible on gear.
- Critical chance – For this particular you will focus on NOT stacking crit rating. The recommended companions will make up the difference in what crit you could realistically stack without sacrificing survivability.
Gear and Enchantments:
Tankadin gear is a mix of Restoration and Ward based on the stats listed above. Do not panic if you’re running 135 gear and mixing to 140+ – gear stats are overall greater than Item level. Specific points of interest for this build are the Greater Everfrost pants and shirt from the Storm King’s Thunder campaign store and the Greater Black Ice artifact – both sets are currently best in slot for the goals of this build by solid margins due in large part to their respective set bonuses. For what it matters, I’m running 3pc Elemental Drowcraft with Blackthorn until I can get Relic armor from Fangbreaker Island.
- Offense enchantments- I find the best results come from Silvery on your gear and Dark for your companions. The recent change to Underdark rings doesn’t actually hurt us with Shadow Demons not having ring slots.
Special Note: to boost your damage as a tank, it is highly recommended that a Tenebrous Enchantment be slotted.
- Defense enchantments- Azure (you and companion) until you hit 50% unbuffed damage reduction. At that point Radiant (you only, Bonding do not transfer companion hit points) becomes an option for extra hit points. There are no other recommended enchants for this build. As a point of interest, the % gain to deflect is based on your actual deflect stat – 5% gain with deflect stat of 4000 gains 200 deflect rating, not 5% deflect chance
- Weapon enchantment – I find Terror to be the most useful enchant for this build, though Holy Avenger is an interesting alternative. On paper, Dread looks good as well but in practice, there simply isn’t enough crit to justify the steep increase in cost
- Armor enchantment – Shadowclad. This allows us to not stack deflect but still see deflection rates on part with guardian fighters who do stack deflect and run far more expensive negation enchants.
Special Note: Do not, ever, for any reason, use Transcendent Shadowclad if you are tanking for a group. It will cause you to lose all threat when it causes you to vanish. This is purely a PVP improvement in the stone.
- Rings- Rising Power and Defense simply because you can maintain a constant up to 1350 power and defense while in combat as opposed to a sudden ring which gives a burst stat of 4000 with a cool down on activation. +5 is your goal but even +3 is better than anything you’ll get before Fangbreaker Island or Svard.
Keeping in mind that our primary goal is to tank while doing damage to hold aggro better, the following are what I have found to work best with this build.
- Sigil of the Devoted- This is your main go to artifact in order to obtain this you must have a cleric level 60+ and complete the Artifacts of Legend quest on the cleric. This artifact I highly recommend getting to Mythic first and fast as it will be your main slotted artifact ability allowing you to regain Action Points really fast with a 1 minute cool down.
- Sigil of the Great Weapon – requires level 60+ Great Weapon Fighter with Artifacts of Legend quest completed. This gives Max Hit Points, Power and Armor Penetration. Acceptable substitutes would be Wheel of Elements. Eye of the Giant, Token of Chromatic Storm, Lostmauth’s Horn of Blasting, Heart of the White Dragon, Champion’s Banner, Eye of Lathander, Sigil of the Oathbound Paladin
- Black Ice Beholder- This can be obtained via Kessels Retreat skirmish and various artifact pacts or the auction house. I recommend the entire 3 piece set. The belt itself (Greater Belt of Black Ice) at Legendary will give a +2 Con and +2 Charisma stat increase our two primary attributes. The necklace (Greater Cloak of Black Ice) gives X% action point gain based on quality and power, critical and armor penetration. Lastly the artifact (Black Ice Beholder) gives Recovery, Armor Penetration, and Combat Advantage Bonus and all 3 pieces cause your powers to have a chance -unstated to deal additional unresistable damage equal to 10% of your weapon damage –extra damage = better aggro holding
- Heart of the Black Dragon- Obtainable via Trade Bars or Auction House. This gives Recovery, Armor Penetration, and Action Point Gain a good substitute for this would be Thayan Book of the Dead
- Weapons- Your goal will be the Oathkeepers set from Sea of Moving Ice, acceptable alternatives while you work for access to Svard would be Twisted from epic Demogorgon or Aboleth from River District (Lifeforged is acceptable if you are having survival issues for some reason)
POWERS AND ROTATION:
After the nerf somethings definitely changed here but are still very viable in terms of surviving and doing damage
- At wills – Radiant Strike and Oath Strike are by far your best options here in both terms of holding threat and doing additional damage. Radiant will be your 2nd opener this will allow you to charge into enemies from a distance and increasing your damage and armor penetration. Following up with strikes Oath Strike this will, on the third swing, make any target focus on you this is actually one ability that works as intended ignore the less damage portion from allies as this only seems to apply in PvP.
- Auras – Train all Auras with a minimal of three points except for Solitude, Wrath and Valor. Wrath isn’t all that great because you’re goal is to stay alive not allow hit points to diminish so you will be healed or full HP more often than not. Valor doesn’t seem to work in terms of holding threat one of our broken abilities and one could make the argument if allies get hit you want to hold threat but why are your allies playing in red? Solitude requires you be alone and that should never, ever, be the case in PvE because you’ll have a summoned companion. Primarily you’ll run Aura of Courage almost 24/7 this is HP based and added damage for you and allies. Now why the other Auras? You’re a situational tank whether you’re struggling with recovery times, secondary aura would be wisdom, or having issues with damage resistance, Protection and Truth are great options here, you need to be able to swap the auras based on what you’re doing.
- Daily Powers – Your go to daily is going to be Heroism. 100% hit point and 15% damage resistance, need I say more? While the bubble (Divine Protector) has been nerfed to 3 seconds and dropped from 80% to 60% reduction it still overall is something in the case of a protection Paladin you do not want to dismiss and will be the second power you place 4 points into for those oh **** moments.
- Encounter Powers – Binding oath. Dare I say this is still very overpowered if used properly in the right hands? Sure they nerfed this in terms of overall damage output but in terms of absorbing damage and survival you can literally god mode yourself this should always be your main opener. Templar’s Wrath if for nothing else temporary hit points all day and even in PvP this can be a nuisance to enemy players as the stun is a great interrupt –stuns trash mobs as well. Burning Light another great, heavy hitter, AOE encounter power that once again immobilize/interrupt enemies and is great for farming dailys. To utilize this power properly you must charge this ability by holding down the corresponding button or key and once the meter is full releasing. For group play, you’ll want to replace Burning Light with Circle of Power for what should be obvious reasons.
So how does the rotation work generally.
Usually you will open with Binding Oath, Charge in with Radiant Strike, Pop Heroism if needed here, follow up Templar’s Wrath, Charge Burning Light-release, and use your class feature to activate Barrier granting yourself a damage shield ending with a few Oath Strikes as needed, rinse and repeat.
If I haven’t melted you with a wall of text yet hey thank you for making it this far we’re almost done so let’s get through this process quickly.
Divine Action 4 Light’s Shield 5 Dominating Presence 0 Steadfast 5
Weapon Mastery 0 Exemplar’s Haste 3 Impassioned Pleas 0 Divine Wisdom 0
Toughness 3 Wrathful Strikes 0 DivineAttunement 0 Force of Will 0
This is all about survival and damage but notice there’s no Critical trained here. Human bonus points I recommend Wrathful Strikes or Impassioned Pleas.
Unflinching Resolve 5/5 10% Contol Resist because stunned = 0 threat
Stand Fast 5/5 5% Damage Resistance and Deflection when standing still, paired with Binding Oath and the additional damage on deflect, this works surprisingly well
Martyr’s Blood 5/5 Paired with the recommended Tiefling race, what’s not to like about an extra 10% incoming damage reduction
Exemplar of the Light 5/5 Basically, permanent 1500% of weapon damage incoming damage you just don’t take
Avenger’s Presence 5/5 You want to make it easier to get my threat generators back when the mobs beat on the party? Of course I want it
Holy Barrier 1/1 This power alone justifies grabbing every bit of hit point gear you can without sacrificing survivability
Bound by Light 5/5 Control Strength over movement speed (Swift Flash) because what threat we do have Control Strength applies you won’t miss the movement bonus unless you PvP
Flash of Light 5/5 Encounter Powers have a 25% chance to reduce cool downs of allies powers by 10% this pretty much explains itself.
Radiant Champion 5/5 You and at least two allies near each other have shorter cool downs and 25% more movement hence why you won’t miss swift flash
- Dark Fey Warder – 400 Defense
- Fey Elusiveness – 400 Deflect
- Feywilds Fortitude – 1600 hp; Everfrost set bonus means we want as many hit points as possible without sacrificing mitigation
- Elven Ferocity – chance when striking a foe deal up to 20000 additional damage triggers a lot with burning light now this can be swapped for Elven Tranquility for those of you lower item levels, having a harder time surviving, as the heal proc is really nice but once you build yourself up I recommend doing more damage.
- Fey Thistle – You will deflect a lot with this build why not do an extra 3000 damage. Note Elvish Fury sounds good but in all honesty does you no good in both PvP and Boss fights this is generally for trash clearing if you can kill the mobs before your group mates or you’re soloing quest thats about it.
- Reliquary Keeper’s Strength – 250 Power and Movement though crit works if you want more damage
- Evoker’s Thirst – 400 Regen purely for the incoming heal boost, small though it admittedly is
- Illusion Shimmer- 3% Deflect Chance.
- Shadowtouched- Chance when dealing damage additional 20000 Damage again like Sharandar Enraged Regrowth is a viable option for those lacking in terms of defense.
- Rampaging Madness- Dealing damage builds stacks once you hit 50 gain 4K power, Life Steal, and Regen this is like having another Brutality ring or lifesteal ring easy to achieve and proc quite often an option for those lacking in defense or surviving would be Augmented Thayan Bastion
- Encroaching Tactics- 400 Combat Advantage Damage because you’ll be in CA quite abit placing yourself in front of an enemy your allies behind the enemy will do extra damage and honestly AoE resist well you can block most AoE attacks what’s the point?
- Appreciation of Warmth- 400 Incoming Healing Bonus. I choose this only because I don’t have an issue with Stamina gain and if I need heal ill take a big heal please.
- Rapid Thaw- 400 Recovery , yes please no crit severity needed here.
- Cool Resolve- Added Power the more your stamina drains. You may think Cold Shoulder sounds nice but let’s be realistic if Orcus hits you for 400,000 damage do you honestly think 398,000 damage is going to make a difference?
- Rousing Warmth- Seeing as you get healed from many sources this gives you 3000 extra damage quite often and damage= better aggro holder
- Primordial Vitality- 400 Defense and 1600 Hit Points
- Primordial Regenesis- 400 Life Steal and 1600 Hit Points (Could honestly go either way here if you wanted more crit)
- Drow Ambush Tactics- Combat Advantage Bonus 10%
- Dwarven Footing- Control Effects 5% shorter duration (Don’t really have an issue with stamina gain)
- Abyssal Strikes- 10% damage versus demons only time I took damage over control because I have so much control bonus this one you won’t notice if trained or untrained may as well do additional damage to keep that threat on you.
Tyranny of Dragons
- Dragonheart – Everfrost set bonus and Aura of Courage, every bit helps
- Dragon’s Shadow- 400 Deflect
- Dragonscale Defense- 400 Defense
- Dragon’s Blood – 400 Regen, again for the admittedly small incoming heal bonus
- Dragon’s Grip- Increased Control Strength I only recommend doing 1 or 2 in here and putting your last into Dragon’s Thirst by this time you should have no problem holding aggro as best the Paladin class can with its broken threat threshold this is about as good as it gets.
The Maze Engine
- Abyssal Regeneration- 400 Incoming Healing Bonus- Yes please
- Demonic Resilience- 5% shorter duration in control effects – get out of stuns faster
- Demonic Swiftness- 3% Action Point Gain
- Baleful Clutch- 10% Increased Control Strength. The only viable tanking option here
- Unassailable Tide- 300 Defense and 2000 Hit Points
- Earth’s Renewal – 1600 hit points and another admittedly small increase to incoming heals
- Blazing Resilience- 400 Recovery and 2000 Hit Points
- Wall of Wind- Best damn boon in this whole thing great for surviving and gaining 1000 recovery for ten seconds triggers often.
Storm King’s Thunder
- Frosty Demeanor – 2% Control Resist and 1000 hit points
- Survival Instincts because when you need heals, you need *HEALS*
- Icy Wrath because you’re going to get hit, a lot
- Glacial Strength because hit point based abilities and Vengeful Heart only counts if you score the killing blow
- Any combination of Chill of Winter and Frozen Reflection works here. I personally run 1 Chill 2 Frozen but all about personal preference
The Cloaked Ascendancy
- Gyrion – These both suck for tanks, it makes no difference and you’re only taking it to unlock #4
- Kabal – Healing Heart because *HEALS*
- Nostura – Soothing Zephyr because life steal just doesn’t do much (comparatively) for us at this point
- Aberrant Power
The following is relatively expensive but in the end worth it. A note on companions other than the Shadow Demon – potentially cheaper and/or more effective if you want more damage would be Siege Master, Fire or Air Archon, Repentant Dragon Cultist, Aranea, Stalwart Golden Lion. Energon is an interesting choice for a hit point boost.
- Shadow Demon: Chance when deflecting damage you take no damage once every 30 seconds this is your main augmented companion stack with 3X Bonding Runestones for Companions Gift – he procs it often and fast plus he hit’s like a truck.
- Owlbear- Mainly the reason we have very little critical in this build you simply do 50% additional damage based on your power every time you fail to crit. It is night and day with taking this companion off doing damage then re-equip him and watch those numbers climb.
- Blacksmith- Damage Taken 25% chance to reflect 10% of that damage back this happens a lot stacks well with Aura of Vengeance (5000/6000/7000 block reflect limits I believe, I’ll update with ACT parse if I can get anything conclusive)
- Galeb Duhr- Deal up to 10% more damage based on the percentage of damage you have taken through internal testing removing him and being smacked by a large enemy and following up with burning light this can be the difference of 1000+ extra damage with him equipped every tick. I personally use Fire Archon here as the damage boost is more consistent and I’m very rarely not full hit points.
- Yeti- Damage Taken 10% chance for you or your companion to increase threat generated by 10%. This procs a lot you’ll know because your character grows in animation and reports of this bonus being broken are partially accurate. ACT parsing reports this as a threat multiplier now rather than a damage increase while the tooltip still reflects damage increase. Another option for the same bonus is Dread Warrior.
Companion Gear: With the addition of Illusionist’s Gambit, there are now viable alternatives to the Gateway gear other than what rarely drops in guild strongholds.If you dislike or simply don’t want to lay out the AD for Loyal Defender or Adorable Rolls gear, Defiant <whatever> of the Champion is your best bet.
Your mount equip power should be from the Flail Snail, Gorgon (can get with trade bars) or Embellished Apparatus of Gond for 15% action point gain after you cast a daily power. Legacy and Legendary versions of the Flail Snail offer a 25% version but are extremely expensive.
Insignias- Regal of Courage and Barbed Insignia of Aggression in every mount giving you Defense, AP Gain, Armor Pen, and Incoming Healing Bonus and you want to stack your mounts for Protectors Camaraderie / Friendship these do in fact stack.
You may also find it beneficial to run a mount with Wanderer’s Fortune to aid in upgrading your gear artifacts and relics. Gilded Giant Spider is the least expensive option available at this time, but more options may exist later.