(UPDATED) Quinn Ironside’s Buff/Debuff Guardian Fighter Build Mod 11

Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
by Quinn Ironside on February 24, 2017
Guardian Fighter

(UPDATED) Quinn Ironside’s Buff/Debuff Guardian Fighter Build Mod 11

Hello Everyone

Quinn Ironside from Knox’s Irregulars here and I’m here to show you how I play my Guardian Fighter.

This is more of a what to aim for guide.

Disclaimer: This build isn’t going to deal alot of damage but it will get the most out of your group.

This is a group build and not tailored to solo play.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas RJC9000 and B1llyriz.

Race

I picked human for the Versatile Defense

Increases our defense by 3% and the extra feats are always nice.

But any race will work.

Ability Score

Constitution for the increased health points.

Intelligence for the recharge speed = more buffs for the group.

Paragon Path

I picked Swordmaster paragon path for

Weapon Master Strike – Great AOE at will that will spread your weapon enchantment like the plague.

Feats

5x Action Surge

More action point gain from blocking.

1x Strength Focus

Increases effectiveness of Strength.(had 1 left)

3x Toughness

More health points.

3x Armor Specialization

More armor class which helps us survive the big hits.

3x Potent Challenge

Helps you keep aggro on mobs against heavy hitting dps

5x Powerful Attack

More damage = More Threat

3x Weapon Mastery

Higher Crit Chance

Tactician Feats

5x Fight On

Lowers your cooldowns on encounters = more buffs & threat

5x Daunting Challenge

If a marked mob gets away from you it will deal less damage to you and the other members of your group.

5x Rousing Speech

More ap gain for your group.

5x Inspiring Leader

Increases the damage buff that Into the Fray gives.

5x Crushing Pin

Controlled targets take 10% more dmg for 3secs

5x United

Everyone in your group takes less damage

1x Martial Mastery

When you get hit, everyone benefits with more ap which in turn increases the overall damage of the group.(must have)

Protector Feats

5x Plate Agility

More deflect = less damage taken

5x  Shield Defense

More Armor Class = More damage mitagated

Skills

At-Wills

Tide of Iron

Helps with stamina management

Weapon Master’s Strike

Best Damage at-will that is an AOE which puts your plaguefire debuff on the mobs hit.

Crushing Surge

Great single target attack that heals for each hit

Encounters

Commander Strike

This skill makes your groups next encounter deal extra damage on any mob that is marked.

Into the Fray

Great Damage buff for the group and increases run speed

Enforced Threat

Aoe Taunt and marks every mob hit by it that applies the defense debuff.

Knight’s Valor

Helps with keeping aggro with heavy dps in the group.

Be careful tho because you will take half of the damage the dps takes from the mob.

Works great with applying Crushing Pin and Valhalla set debuffs.

Knee Breaker

It is a control power that slows the target that procs crushing pin.

Personals

Guarded Assault

Reflects 20% of incoming dmg. Cannot exceed 15% of your Max HP

Combat Superiority

Reduces incoming dmg by 8% and increases your dmg by 8%

Daily

Villains’s Menace

You deal increased damage and become immune to CC’s

Fighter’s Recovery

After you activate this daily every hit you preform will heal you for the damage that it does.

Companions

Summoned

Dancing Shield

20% defense debuff on the target hit.

3x Defense slots for bondings and 3 belt slots what more could you ask for.

Active

Energon

5% hp! duh

Rust Monster

5% damage debuff on attacker when you are hit and stacks 3 times.

Chicken

If you take 25% of your hp in a single blow it will but a debuff on the attacker and gives you 40% movement speed

Stalwart Golden Lion

Builds Radiant Weapon buff

Alt: Dread Warrior

Helps with threat.

Mounts

Courage and Mastery are the insignia’s ones to focus on.

Boons

This is where it gets boring.

What i do is go to the guild stronghold and hit a test dummy to proc my bonding runestones.

Then i pick my boons so i know what my stats are at.

Main ones to consider are:

Sharandar– Fey Thistle – Deal 3k dmg when you deflect.

Dread Ring– Augmented Thayan Bastion – Chance to get a 10k shield that redirects damage to a nearby foe.

IWD- Rousing Warmth – Chance when healed to gain up to 3k damage bonus on next attack.

Underdark –  Nothing really stands out here.

ToD –  Dragon’s Revival – increased incoming healing. (works great with fighter’s recovery daily)

Maze Engine –  Nothing really stands out here.

EE –  Wall of Wind – When taking dmg you have a chance to heal and increase recovery by 1k for 10 secs

Stats to aim for fully buffed

This is for end game, so don’t worry if you can’t hit these right off the get go.

Defense>Arm Pen>Recovery>HP>Deflect>Crit

Defense

Defense helps you survive hits so more is better and increases you damage resistance.

Don’t get to carried away though, because at a certain point it becomes less of a priority.

That amount you’re looking for is around 32k Defense or 96% Damage Resistance

“Scrub everyone knows 80% dr is the cap”

In Mod 10 the developers gave the mobs 15% armor penetration so to counter this we need 96%.

(i like to be one up on this just to make me feel better.)

Armor Penetration

This helps you gain aggro and keep aggro on mobs.

6300 or 60% resistance ignored

Recovery

This helps you get your encounters faster so you can keep your buffs up.

12k is the soft cap. Focus on this stat once you hit the Arm pen cap 1st.

HP

More Hit points = More life

Deflect

This stat makes it so you take 50% of the damage you would of taken.

Once you are DR capped and you have around 180k Hp focus on deflection.

Crit

Only after you are at the Arm Pen cap and Recovery cap.

“Why not power?”

We get enough power from all the power share buffs that the other members bring.

Gear (Starting)

Armor

Enchantments

Negation if you are below the DR Cap.

Soulforged if you are at the DR Cap.

Helm – Drowcraft Helm

Chest – Drowcraft Breastplate

Arms – Dusk Raid Gauntlets

Boots – Dusk Raid Sabatons

Rings

Ring of Rising Defense

Ring of Rising Focus (Recovery)

Drow Shirt and Pants

Necklace

Greater Lathander’s Cloak

Belt

Greater Plated Belt of Constitution

Weapons

Drowned Longsword

I use a Plaguefire Enchantment for the Debuff it puts on the mobs i hit.

Iron Tide to help with stamina management

Drowned Shield

Make sure to unlock the Artifact powers

Guarded Assault for the CC to proc Crushing Pin

Enchantments

Defense Slots – Azures

Offensive Slots – Silvery

Reinforcements

Defense on armor

Ap gain on rings, neck, and belt

Artifacts

Belt

Belt of Valhalla

Reinforced with AP Gain

Weapons

Shieldbearer Longsword

Transcendent Plague Fire Enchantment

Great debuff on targets hit.

Iron Tide Artifact Power

Helps keep stamina up

Shieldbearer Shield

Guarded Assault Artifact Power

When you block a hit it will apply a slow (control) to proc the Crushing Pin Feat

Artifacts

Active

Champions Banner

Helps the group by providing recovery and incoming healing.

Also Foes will deal 8% less damage for 30 secs.

Non-active

Waters of Elah’zad

Horn of Valhalla

Sigil of the Guardian

Conclusion

Check your stats when you upgrade gear and adjust boons and enchantments.

Try different things and see what works for you.

If you’re in an alliance don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Have fun!

Hope this helps.

Quinn Ironside

Thank you for all the feedback!

comments
  • Profile photo of b1llyriz
    February 24, 2017 at 11:08 pm

Daunting Challenge -If a marked mob gets away from you it will deal less damage to the other members of your group. Its Actually Marked targets now deal 10% less damage to your allies and you, The tooltip is wrong get used to that with tooltips.

5x Surging Tide I would switch this for Crushing Pin, it will proc a lot and the Guarded Assault artifact with the passive slotted will proc it if you choose to slot it, Griffon’s Wrath is ideal on single target bosses as it has 3 charges so it is easy to reapply and manage so you can keep crushing pin on all the time with 12k recovery.

Steel Grace- Awesome for Dailies but would consider switching to guarded assault for Above reasons with crushing pin GA will also heal you loads when you hit fighters recovery.

Gear (Starting) Awesome (Applies to everything below)

Enchantments Awesome
    Reinforcements
    Artifacts
    My Gear

Mount Bonus I would switch out WF for Shepherds devotion in dungeons, Also Victim’s Preservation is also very good along with champions struggle as others to consider.

Good Build:)

• Vengance
    February 25, 2017 at 2:29 am

Can u explain your rotation? Im new with tanks and all the info its welcome! Ty for take some of your time to share ur build whit us!

*Knox alliance*

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
      February 25, 2017 at 2:47 am

Before I run in I hit block to proc my relic weapon bonus then itf. As I am running I start to mark(R1) everything I can. I use enforced threat to mark everything(double kill I know) Then drop block and hit commanding strike. Block,itf,cs,enforced threat repeat

• efkarpidis kostas
    February 27, 2017 at 11:52 am

Hey m8.Would mind to tell us which boons you chose.Also could you tell us what items did you put on your companions?
    Thanks a lot

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
      February 27, 2017 at 1:23 pm

The reason I didn’t put my boons down is because other people will have different guild boons and different rank enchants.
      Like my guide stated I went to the target dummies to see what my stats were with my bondings active and pick accordingly. Same with my companion belts.
      Thanks for taking the time to read this and hope it helps!

• Comrade
        March 15, 2017 at 9:16 am

What belts do you put in your companion?

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
          March 15, 2017 at 12:59 pm

I just use some blue belts with the stats I’m lacking be it armpen or recovery. I’ve really ignored my companion >_< but I also use him as a means of getting my caps I want to have so if I upgrade an enchantment on my guy I edit my companion to fit what I need

• El "Boleta" Albelto
    March 2, 2017 at 11:59 pm

What guild boons u have?

• Russell O'Keefe
    March 10, 2017 at 10:29 pm

I am in Quinns alliance and have been lucky enough to do a few runs with him recently. This build works extremely well and Quinn is pretty much considered to most skilled GF in our alliance. I cant wait to roll a GF and test it out for myself. Well done on finally publishing your build Quinn 🙂

• Daniel
    March 24, 2017 at 7:57 am

If you can’t get the champion banner what other artifacts can you use in place of it

• Profile photo of rjc9000
    April 15, 2017 at 4:46 am

Nice to see more Tacticians taking up the mantle of group support. I don’t really frequent MMOmind, but I heard about your Tactician build on MMOminds, so it got me curious.

I am intrigued as to why you chose the WMS offhand bonus. As you say in your intro, your build’s DPS is going to suck and WMS was only used to spread weapon enchant procs. You’re also using Surging Tide, which made me wonder why you didn’t instantly decide to pick up the Tide of Iron offhand bonus.

I am personally against the Blacksmith, because the damage sucks (seriously less than 3000 damage, I could do more with my awfulawful Aggravating Strikes). Same goes for Battlefield Medic, the incoming healing is a small multiplier to heals which doesn’t really help you that much. I’d rather slot in an Elemental AIr Cultist and Chicken to actually add things to you and your team’s survival.

Since you’re running a bit of Crit, I’m curious as to why you skipped Lifesteal and decided against Jagged Blades, which, when combined with FR and/or Lifesteal, adds a bit of survivability. A weird little quirk about KV + Jagged Blades is that if mobs hit your teammates while you have KV up, you instantly Crit and get a Jagged Blades proc. It’s really weird, but, hey, I’ll take what I can.

Minor nitpicky thing, but I think mob ArmorPen has been around since Mod6. The infamous ArmorPen bug is the reason why Mod6 mobs did absurd damage. I think we only found out and researched it around Mod 9, just like how we learned more about debuffs in Mod10 thanks to Michela’s work in Mod 9.

Overall, keep up the good work, we need more Tactician GFs in the community.

• Leo
    April 15, 2017 at 6:51 am

ive been running the tacticians build with the knee breaker and the control damage feat and con/dex instead of con/int. I could not tell you why but it lasted longer in epic dungeons than when i was total protection build. The actions points keep me in fighters recovery whenever i need. Crushing surge does the rest. In epics i only have to use the shield if the healer isnt keeping up. But once again the massive AP boost help healers a lot.

• Leo
    April 15, 2017 at 6:53 am

the int thing makes me think well the teams got all my dps. They gonna tank for me too?

• Leo
    April 15, 2017 at 6:57 am

My into the fray brings all the boys to the yard.
    Their life is better than yours.

• Caldorian Hesatease (Pokerbrat911)
    April 21, 2017 at 2:32 pm

Just curious but is your build suppose to have 0 armor penetration? Picture shows “0”

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
      April 21, 2017 at 3:18 pm

Yes I get my armor pen from my companion.
      If it does die its ok because I’ve built enough threat to keep aggro until it is up again.
      With that being said if you’re just starting out then I suggest getting the armor pen boon from your guild of if your
      Guild doesn’t have it then put some dark enchantments into your offensive slots.

• Muffin
    April 26, 2017 at 2:58 am

Nice Quinn always wanted a more in depth look at your build- Muffin

• zoro
    April 27, 2017 at 3:48 pm

am currently using Valhalla set do i have to change it or can still use it and follow ur build

• zoro
      April 27, 2017 at 4:03 pm

and also why negation why not shadowclad for the armor enchantment

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
      April 27, 2017 at 4:10 pm

I recommend the Valhalla set.
      As for the negation I recommend it to hit the dr cap. And once you get high enough to can switch it out for a soul forged.
      I don’t recommend a shadow clad because it makes the cap stone in tact less effective.

• zoro
        April 28, 2017 at 7:21 am

ok n why i ask i got greater negation and i was thinkng shadowclad will be gud to increase ur deflect or what other way i can boost my deflect and for the weapon enchatment is terror gud becos that wat i go or i should change to plague

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
          April 28, 2017 at 3:04 pm

Negation is fine but once you get better enchants then you will not need the negation. As for the terror I would suggest either plague or frost

• zoro
            April 29, 2017 at 11:19 am

k am using dragon born race i dont have the extra 3 point hw can i respec and once i get better enchants wat i should go for if am changing from negation

• Kennet
    April 28, 2017 at 7:20 pm

Question when you do CN what is power and so do you use?

• Quinn Ironside
      April 29, 2017 at 3:50 am

On trash I use enforced threat itf and commander strike. With weapon master strike and tide of iron guarded assault and combat superiority.
      Bosses I use crushing surge instead of wms and knee breaker instead of enforced threat.

• Kennet
    April 30, 2017 at 9:12 am

Why knee breaker? I know it slows enemy down

• Quinn Ironside
    April 30, 2017 at 2:56 pm

I use knee breaker to apply the crushing pin feat so the bosses take more damage.

• Profile photo of rjc9000
      April 30, 2017 at 10:56 pm

As a heads up, Crushing Pin does not scale with the length of your CC effects. If you apply a CC effect, Crushing Pin is put on the target for 3 seconds, regardless of whether I’m using Griffon’s Wrath, Terrifying Impact, Knee Breaker, or any other CC powers. So even if you apply Knee Breaker, Crushing Pin only procs off the initial kicking hit rather than the DoT effect.

Also, an aside note: Commander’s Strike doesn’t actually buff your teammate’s encounter damage What it does is it takes 40% of your teammate’s encounter hit and gives it to the GF as extra damage. It effectively gives the team the same damage output as if it buffed teammate encounter power damage, but the distribution of the paingiver chart changes (ex: CW hits for a disintegrate with 1000 damage, if you buffed the CW’s damage, he would hit for 1400, if CS works like now, the CW hits for 1000 damage and the GF hits for 400 damage, which all equal 1400 damage at the end of the day).

If you’re skeptical about this, then try this with a GWF buddy using IBS on the Ruined fixed damage weapon and using no extra gear/feats (ex: don’t use Destroyer or Wrathful Determination). You’ll notice that the GWF’s IBS hits shouldn’t change if you apply CS.

To answer the other comment above this one, Iron Warrior’s effects are always outclassed by another more useful power. Need stamina? Pop ITF or Enforced Theat, or use Tide of Iron. Need aggro? Pop Enforced Threat or jab your enemy a few times with Aggravating Strike. Need TempHP? The TempHP amount from Iron Warrior is just so low that it will never function as an emergency shield, just use Fighter’s Recovery/Wheel of Elements Earth or Water/Bloodcrystal Ravenskull if you need an emergency set of HP. And lastly, it’s just a slow animation, which can get you killed if you aren’t careful. It’s a relic of Mod4 era guard, where each hit took off a % of your stamina.

• Profile photo of Seth
    May 4, 2017 at 1:14 am

I have both a question and a request. First off what if im having stamina problems continously while fighting orcus. Second the request is could you make a video or something of you in game with this character so you can let me see examples of how you tank in sva or orcus or mainly any dungeon in general i love the build. My only number 1 issue is that i have mana problems.

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
      May 4, 2017 at 12:20 pm

I use tide of iron and with the artifact power it really helps with the stam. You also don’t need to block the whole time orcus is more about timing then anything.
      As for the vids I stream every now and then but I’ll try to get some videos up

• Isildur
    May 4, 2017 at 7:37 am

Hi quinn, still have to try your build but at the first look seems great. I’d like to put lifesilk chest as an alternative, what do you think ?
    Also i’m near to build the new set of weapons in river district, do you think it will works?

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
      May 4, 2017 at 12:09 pm

Life silk will work pretty good with knee breaker and guarded assault. Only reason I use relic gear is I pretty much just do fbi and msva now so the extra ef resis helps.
      As for the mod 11 weapon I would suggest the fey for the ap gain (what you thinking we get mad ap now) for the fighters recovery spam which helps Shepard devotion (buffs group)

• Russell O'Keefe
    May 6, 2017 at 8:20 am

Hi Quinn, I have just started a GF alt. I know this build is aimed at groups but is it still ok to solo with whilst leveling up and working towards endgame gear? If not then what would you recommend I use for my build whilst leveling?

• Profile photo of Quinn Ironside
    May 6, 2017 at 2:58 pm

Its fine for solo stuff but I would recommend a conq build of you’re leveling up and after you have some boons then I would say go for this

• Sypher_Ikronious
    May 15, 2017 at 11:03 am

Just curious, what rolls did you have on your attributes? I’m a tad confused, your own at level 70 seem odd. Maybe I’m just worse with math than I thought, but uh, yeah.

• C3POMG
    May 19, 2017 at 8:51 am

What were your starting rolls if you don’t mind me asking. Having a hell of a time trying to figure it out, lol – Im taking 1 away for fire, 1 for elix of fate, and 2 more from con and dex for belt, but I’m not able to touch those rolls. What am I missing?

• Quinn Ironside
      May 22, 2017 at 4:56 am

15 str
      19 con
      15 dex
      10 int
      11 wis
      12 cha
      I made this character way before I knew what I was doing so my rolls are junk.

Leave a Response