Garl’s Warlock Soulbinder Damnation PvE Build [Mod 10]

by Garlaanx on June 29, 2016

Garl’s Warlock Soulbinder Damnation PvE Build [Mod 10]

Scourge Warlock – Soulbinder Damnation PvE Build – Mod 10

Welcome – This is the Mod 10 Updated Build for the Soulbinder Damnation Warlock.  A few changes have come into place.  Soul Puppets have been fixed and aren’t a huge source of DPS any longer.  However, this build will still dish out some DPS.  This build will also provide the warlock with numerous ways of staying alive longer.  This is a very tanky build and you shouldn’t die very often.  I’m currently 4,266 Item Level.  This build is very viable for anyone leveling up 1-70.. or any lvl 70’s who are sub 3k Item Level.  This build is easy to play and will have several different roles in solo play and group play. This build won’t be for everyone.  Your play style will determine if this build is right for you.  I will also have a Mod 10 Hellbringer Fury Build that is more geared toward full DPS (Link Coming Soon!) – Also, if you need to contact me to ask questions or just have general feedback.  Please, contact me by either my Youtube channel or Twitter. I try to check the comments here as often as I can.. but those two ways will be the best option at this time.

Race – Tiefling / Dragonborn / Human – All 3 will be viable Races to play.  Just remember, if you do choose a Human, you will gain an extra 3 feat points.

Stats – CHA/CON – You want to get high initial rolls in both CHA/CON – Then build full CHA/CON throughout leveling up

Gear – Best in Slot is up for debate currently.  You can continue to use your Elemental Dragonflight, Drowcraft/Dusk, or Masterwork in any combination.  However, the new Mod 10 Relic Gear will yield the highest item level (150 at tier 3) and highest stats.  The problem is the tier system and how it currently works.  You have to keep your tier 3 Relic gear empowered for max stats.  Each Relic piece will have a 2 hour timer that will deplete every time you enter combat. If you want to keep using the gear, you will have to farm Vonin Blod non-stop.  This has made a lot of players angry.  The choice will be yours in the long run on what to use.

Weapon / Offhand – This is also going to be up for debate.  You can continue to use your Twisted Weapons / Stronghold Weapons.  In the mid mod update (Mod 10.5) There is going to be a new set.  Most likely the new set will be Best in Slot.. The Offensive Bonus is a 10% Power Gain, and there is also a Defensive Bonus as well that we won’t care about.  Once again, the choice will be up to you on what to use.
On your weapon you want to put Essence Defiler +8% Damage
On your offhand you want to go with All Consuming Curse for the 5% Crit Severity

Rings – Ring of Rising Precision & Ring of Rising Power +5 would be Best in Slot for the two offensive slots.  However, you can use +4 rings just as well.

3 Piece Set – Best in Slot is going to be the Orcus Set.  (Neck, Belt, Artifact)  DPS increase of over 10% – Don’t worry about the lack of Armor Penetration on the set.  You will make it up elsewhere and still should be able to hit the 60% soft cap.

Artifacts – Wheel of the Elements & Sigil of the Devoted in your Active Main Slot. Thayan Book of the Dead and Tiamat’s Orb.  If you don’t have access to these, You can always substitute Lantern of Revelations or any other Artifact with Power/Crit/ArmorPen

Enchantments – This is going to be up to you and what your character needs. You need to have 60% Armor Penetration, as close to 100% Crit Chance as you can get.. Then you can stack Power.  I personality use all Radiants in Offensive Slots.. and all Darks in Defensive Slots.  Power + Lifesteal –  You can use all Brutals if you want to split stats between Power/Crit.. but they can be a bit more expensive.

Armor Enchantment – We are going to be using the Transcendent Negation. 30% Damage Resistance, 10% Incoming Healing Bonus (Works with Lifesteal) and 10% Recovery.  You can’t go wrong with it.  Works wonders for this build.  Pure Tankage!

Weapon Enchantment – We are going to be using the Transcendent Vorpal.  There is debate that the Dread will out preform the Vorpal. However, for this build, the Vorpal will be best in slot.  A lot of your damage is going to be coming from Immolation Spirits.  Dread doesn’t effect this Daily Power but the Vorpal does.  Even though you’re going to be spamming Soul Scorch, which the Dread would effect, the Vorpal is still best in my opinion.  Use what ya want guys.

1/5 Energizing Curse
3/3 Weapon Mastery
3/3 Toughness
3/3 Empowered Rituals
5/5 Determined Casting
2/5 Blood Pact
3/3 Devastating Crit
Total 20 Points – If you roll a Human you will gain an extra 3 points that you can either place in Blood Pact to make it 5/5 or place it in Soul Reaping 3/3 if needed. Also, Scornful Curse 3/3 is another great option.

Soulbinder Path
Damnation Tree
5/5 Relentless Curse
5/5 Sparkbinder
5/5 Spiritfire
5/5 Warding Spirits
5/5 Ghastly Commander
1/1 Soul Desecration
Temptation Tree
5/5 Hope Stealer
5/5 Vampiric Sparks
5/5 Dark Revelry
Total 41 Points

At-Wills – Essence Defiler / Hand of Blight (Can Sub Dark Spiral Aura for AP Gain if needed)
Encounters – Dreadtheft / Soul Scorch / Warlock Bargain or Hadar’s Grasp
Personal – Dust to Dust / All Consuming Curse
Daily’s – Tyrannical Threat / Immolation Spirits / Brood of Hadar
All should be maxed with 4 points in each as soon as possible.
Below will be a Spell Rotation Guide – Or you can click HERE for link.

Legendary Pet – 3 different options will be available.  If you can’t afford to get the top end of the market stuff.  You can go with the Air Archon.  If you can afford the top end of the market, then the Fire Archon is also an option.  However, my personal opinion is the best companion for any DPS class in the game is the Con Artist.  It costs 2 gold, has 2 offensive slots, 1 defensive slot, 3 ring slots.
Rank 12 Bondings Stones – I also chose to go with Sudden Crit, Sudden Brute, and Sudden Lifesteal as my 3 ring choices.  All stacking either Radiant or Darks.  +5 Rings would be Best, but +4 will work as well.  What makes this companion so special is one of his effects is a 10% debuff.  Can’t go wrong with that.  It also stacks.. so if you have 3 people in your party using it.. 30% debuff on top of every other debuff.
Other Active Pets – Fire Archon / Air Archon / Siege Master / Erinyes

Boons – Will update when I finish Storm King’s Thunder.. but I did path it out how I intend to go.  All the rest are more in depth in the video.

I view mounts as sort of a “bonus” system to make up for missing stats.  As far as combat power goes.. if you are lucky enough to have a Legendary Mount, I would suggest the Tenser’s Disc for the 10% DPS increase.  As far as mount powers go.. it will depend on what your character needs at this point.  Power, Crit, Lifesteal, Armor Pen, etc.

As far as the Insignia Bonus’s go, I’m still working on them to be honest.  Mod 10 gave us a bunch of new ones as well.  I will update as I go along if I find better.  But currently this is what I’m using.

Finally Here is the Video Guide/Build in Full:

And Also, here is the Spell Power Rotation Guide:

• Jonathon Nunez
    July 5, 2016 at 6:35 pm

I just returned after a year long hiatus. Before my break, I was a HB Temp lock. I could solo, survive, heal a group and put on really nice dps numbers. Coming back, doing a bit of research, I’m finding that setup is no longer viable, while the SB Damnation setup is, arguably, the top.

I used my free respec to try out your build. It’s fun and I can definitely tell, once I get to 70 and start getting lvl 70 tier gear, better optimized companions, etc that it’ll put out big numbers. However, during the leveling process, I feel like I’m not putting out enough damage. Doing ToD campaign dailies, even though I’m scaled to 70 in the instance dailies, I’m getting nearly killed each group of mobs. Outside of dailies, level 61 mobs, if I pull too much, shred through me, which was something that never really happened before.

Thoughts on this?

July 10, 2016 at 4:35 am

It all boils down to current item level and current gear. The build “alone” cannot save you. They are all pieces of the puzzle that you have to slowly put together to gain the benefits of the bigger picture. Temp Locks are few and far between anymore.. and Hellbringer is dead.

Once you can get 2500+ you really shouldn’t have any problems in any map other than Well of Dragons.. Once you get 2800-3k, you can then solo Well of Dragons trash mobs as well with little hassle. Keep in mind, when you are scaled to lvl 70, you do get a bit of boosted stats.. but nothing compared to being fully geared. Once you start gearing out your toon, you will then fully see the potential of the build.

The biggest part is trying to get your enchants. Everything should be at least lvl 7-8 until you can start grinding them all to Rank 12’s. Also, for the Negation or Shadowclad.. Just get a normal one and you will see a difference.. Then slowly work on getting it to Rank 12 as well.

• Sky
    July 8, 2016 at 9:06 pm

Hello, Wouldn’t you want a black ice set instead of the lostmauth? Thx

July 10, 2016 at 4:30 am

On the PC they are able to parse DPS. It was proven that the Black Ice Set is beyond horrible, even after the LM changes. During a boss fight, a Fury scored 1% or less damage from the Ice Set. The numbers were really bad. Even after the changes, the LM set will still do better over the Ice set. It basically comes down to you having two options. Try to get the Orcus set.. or mix and match sets for the stats.. such as the Ice Belt has Cha/Con … I’m still rocking the LM set.. I may eventually switch to the Orcus set, but I’m in no rush.

• OG
    July 9, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Can this build be use for pvp and also can drow race be use too

July 11, 2016 at 3:09 am

This is a PvE Build. You can use the same build for PvP with a few slight changes. The powers would be totally different however. I don’t PvP at all, so I won’t be much help there.

As for the Drow Race. Yea, you can use it.. However, I would prefer the +Damage with Tiefling or Dragonborn vs the Debuff that comes with the Drow. It’s up to you and how you want to play.

• User46&2
    July 16, 2016 at 8:26 pm

Hey great build and set up, Enjoyed gathering more knowledge about the SW. Are the Personals – Deadly Curse and All-Consuming Curse any good? Will they increase your damage any? Would like to read your thoughts on that, Thanks.

July 20, 2016 at 6:03 pm

I sometimes switch to ACC and swap the offhand to that power as well for the extra 5% Crit Sev.. Deadly Curse is meh.. Some people use it, but with my set up it just doesn’t fit into the mix.

• Shaltono Soulbond
    July 28, 2016 at 11:35 pm

Hey, what artifacts can I use until I’m able to get the ones you mentioned? Also what kinda armour should I use until I get to Elemental Dragonflight? Just want to know what’s a good subsistute to use until I get the things you mentioned.

July 31, 2016 at 2:55 am

As far as Artifacts go. use what will give you power/crit/armorpen – If you have other toons lvl 60.. You can use the Sigils. But you should strive to get the ones I mentioned as soon as possible. I know Tia Orb is hard to get. Use the Cleric Sigil in it’s place.

Also, for the gear. Use Dusk/Drowcraft or a complete Elven set from the Enclave until you can get your Dragonflight.. Then Elemental Dragonflight.

• SirPHz
    August 4, 2016 at 2:50 pm

I know this is a build guide for those max level already, but would you be willing to share (for a new player) at what level to start obtaining certain pieces of gear or where to obtain the gear from or priority vs ease of obtaining. I guess it would be an additional guide for scrubs like myself who just started 3 days ago. Thanks!

August 12, 2016 at 10:44 pm

Check out my video here – Goes over some ways to snag gear until you can obtain Dragonflight. It’s a slow grind process, but the gear will come naturally with time.

• SirPHz
        August 19, 2016 at 2:07 pm

Hey Man, Thank you for the reply. I actually ended up finding your channel couple days after this post, subbed and love your vids… great work and very appreciated. Have helped me a lot!

• Amonon Vicelord@Demitric
    August 4, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Hey Thanks for this post! I respeced too it and you are 100% correct, Tank and high output dps. I just hit 70 and i have 2 purples, rest blues but WOW. I do have a newb question: It seems most beneficial to max out Soul sparks to 30 to get compounded healing and AP gain plus 9% damage from Burning soul. My question is if you kept SP at 30 at all times would you be able to pop TT more often and have that 9% bonus damage, therefore you wouldn’t want to use Soul Scorch, but maybe Infernal Spheres that helps you apply more lesser curse?

August 12, 2016 at 10:45 pm

It would seem like a good tactic but no. Soul Scorch is your main DPS. It hits very hard. So, soon as you get 30 sparks, start to unload them. Rinse n Repeat

• Surgical knife
    August 12, 2016 at 11:34 pm

What makes the dragon borne so good

• KAdamsy1
    September 3, 2016 at 1:11 pm

what mount would you recommend for this build?

September 9, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Well, if you mean what “Power” from mounts to use. I use to use the 2k Crit, but I just switched to the 2k Power because my crit was around 144% self buffed and thats beyond over kill =)

As far as mount insignia’s go.. They are in the video

• Brandon Aronhalt
    September 4, 2016 at 2:23 am

Wondering how much your build has changed since Mod 10? Same skills? Tried Orcus yet?

• Brandon Aronhalt
      September 4, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Is borrowed time still viable?

September 9, 2016 at 11:47 pm

I haven’t updated a Mod 10 build yet. It will be coming soon.

• Brandon Aronhalt
          September 22, 2016 at 3:13 am

Please do lol Mod 10 coming PS4
          Oct 18th. Artifacts are so expensive ATM and I don’t want to refine something I’m not going to use. Been looking at Fenru build but it’s HB Fury. Would like to see a damnation build that’s still good

• toflux
          September 22, 2016 at 12:53 pm

We are waiting for an update of your great build.
          I have to understand changes on Borrowed Time (and consequently to Dust to Dust).

• toflux
    September 9, 2016 at 11:40 am

Ehi man, great build (I’m going to use it with my new SW) and great vids on your YT channel.
    I’ve a couple of questiom:
    1) What is the correct rota you use?
    2) Which companion you recommend on Enclave (in this moment I’m not going to spend other real money on NW)?

September 9, 2016 at 11:49 pm

For Trash Mobs – TT > BoVA > Dreadtheft = Dead Things
      For Boss Mobs – TT > WB > Dreadtheft > SS , rinse repeat as needed.

Enclave pet? You mean which one they give you for free? The healing guy is always nice while you are leveling up =)

• toflux
        September 12, 2016 at 7:27 am

Thanks man! Yeah I mean the pet you can buy for free or gold on Enclave 🙂
        I’ve the dog that are a gift after buying the first 500zen in this moment (is level 30).

A question: I’m going to buy armor with seals elements and drawcraft armor as second step.
        I’m a PS4 player, so if is it possible for you give us some advice of some artifact or belt or other stuff to use before we are able to find all the things you write in your guide, it would be perfect!

Thanks again and sorry for my english, It’s not my first language 🙂

September 28, 2016 at 10:35 am

Just grind to lvl 70.. Everything before hand is obsolete. With the Glorious Box now dropping on PS4, you guys should have access to everything in my guide now =)

• Rylar
    September 17, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Is this still a viable build? Im a overall new Neverwinter player and am leveling a SW and have been starting to follow this build. I am on PC.

September 28, 2016 at 10:36 am

No.. If you’re on PC.. you guys have Mod 10. You will have to wait until I update the build for Mod 10. It launches Oct 18th for us and my builds will follow after I test everything.

• brasileiro
    September 18, 2016 at 1:54 pm

Please, post a video for PvP. Thanks for help

September 28, 2016 at 10:36 am

Sorry.. I do not PvP nor do I ever plan on it =) Try searching youtube.. there are some PvP warlocks out there.

• Uzi
    September 21, 2016 at 10:54 am

Hey, ps4 player here and a subscriber. I’m very thankful to know which gear I should be chasing after in the long term, but do you have any suggestion on gear to get me by until then? Thanks for all the great videos, best neverwinter YouTuber have down!

September 28, 2016 at 10:37 am

Just grind to 70 as fast as ya can. Just use the free gear you get for completing quests in Spinward Rise until you get 70 and start getting the good stuff =)

• EvilWaterman
    September 28, 2016 at 2:23 pm

What’s BoVA?

• Douglas Merxam
    September 30, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Build very Good, in 10 mod you still use the set lost maught? I play on ps4 and next week Will havê Double the evento refinement. I Wonder if o should investimento in it. I have the set Black ice , it is really that bad? To finish, you have to update this build prediction for the mod 10?

October 3, 2016 at 11:37 pm

I’ll be having a mod 10 build/guide yes. Orcus is BiS so if you can get that then go for it.. Otherwise the Lostmauth set is a good place holder. Black Ice is the worst set bonus in the game =(

• shinra
    October 1, 2016 at 3:46 pm

Eta on an updated mod 10 build (I’m sure your tired of us asking, but alot of us ps4 peeps use your build, and are starting to invest alot into getting beyond 2500, plus our mod 10 is just around the corner, eek!) Thanks so much for all the help this guide has given!!

Also, why not use lengdary level equip powers from mounts, since they are 4k, vs 2k? Just because you are still waiting for a lengdary?

Also, from a comment above, does that mean when you are running dungeons, you use BoVA for trash, then swap to WB for all the boss fights? Would that be your rotation for PoM and ToDG skrimkishes aswell?

Ty again

October 3, 2016 at 11:39 pm

Mod 10 build/guide will be coming a week or 2 after the launch of mod 10 on Oct 18th.. I need to test everything and make sure it’s viable.

I don’t have a Legendary Mount.. refuses to drop for me and I don’t want to spend 20mil. But eventually I will have my Disc >.>

during Skirms I just use BOVA for the whole event.. to lazy to switch to WB.. However, if you need to switch to WB for the boss battle then do so =)

• shinra
        October 4, 2016 at 10:32 pm

oh apologies, I guess I assumed xbox would be getting their update before ps4… did not realize you guys were getting it at the same time. that explains the delay in an update, haha, so sorry.

Well, at least with the new box out (assuming you guys got the glorious one right now too) you have a slightly better chance of getting your disc now. but with that said, 4,000 recovery hmm.. sadface

thanks for the tip on bova, I didn’t even unlock the darn thing, didn’t think i’d need to. now I either need more points or to respec again, booo. how about your demo rotation, same deal?

• Nicholas Kravetz
    October 2, 2016 at 6:18 am

Hey I had a question about mod 10. I heard they’re getting rid of the burning soul paragon feat in fury or at least what it does for soulbinder 9% DMG with full sparks. So would it be better to try and get the soul reaping heroic feat and go the 15 point in temptation route. I honest don’t have much life steal and when I said that I don’t think I’d procs dark revelry much (3rd on the bottom in temptation). Then the person i talked to brought up borrowed time. My question is does borrowed time actually have anything to do with proccing dark revelry and would it be worth going after the soul reaping heroic feat along with hope stealer in temptation of course? (I have insane crit and crit severity) plus grabbing vampiric sparks and finally dark revelry. Also which feat in damnation would I drop? Wrathful souls or ghastly commander. I feel like ghastly commander would help proc dark revelry more anyway and they seem to be nerfing soul puppets big time so might as well buff my damage by as much as possible I figured. I hate to lose either paragon feat tbh.

October 3, 2016 at 11:41 pm

I can’t really answer most of this until I test mod 10 stuff myself.. However, Dark Revelry is still viable in mod 10. You can drop Ghastly for it. Also, why don’t you have life steal? it’s an essential part of any warlock build. All your defense slots should have Darks in them.. + Guild Boon.. + Companion Boosts.. Mount Boosts etc. You should have at least 30% at the very least. I’m at around 60-66% myself.

• Nicholas Kravetz
        October 10, 2016 at 2:00 pm

I’m on ps4. No life steal boon yet. All darks in defensives. But only rank 9s. And companion boosts only add a little unless I actually am gearing for it instead of crit and power. What mount insignia bonuses gives life steal? I could see having an insane amount with 8k from a boon. All boons from campaigns with life steal that didn’t sacrifice dps are life steal. Dunno where to get all of it.

• Nicholas Kravetz
          October 10, 2016 at 2:15 pm

Also what do you think of WHR. The new companion that came out. It can proc off every tick of dreadtheft. I’ve been using it over air archon or dancing blade. I swap em but havent decided. I’m not sure it procs enough to replace them. But as of now my companion setup is great. But only rank 9 bondings. Is there some secret to getting life steal off companions?

• toflux
        October 21, 2016 at 12:08 pm

Hi Garl, waiting for you build update 🙂
        Running with Fernu’s build in order to understand how HB work.

A question about your answer above: for life steal which companion or Mount boosts do you recommend? Probably I do not fully understand what do you mean 🙂

• Douglas Merxam
    October 7, 2016 at 7:23 pm

Gaars i have seen vídeos of mod 10 and staff have used more hellbringer, what do you think? Hell this stronger than soul? You want to switch to soul or Will migrate to hell?

October 10, 2016 at 10:26 am

I will be testing both and playing what I chose. I will be making two separate builds/guides for each. Soulbinder Damnation and Hellbringer Fury.. also I’ll be adding two videos on rotations since it was most requested. Mod 10 launches Oct 18th.. expect my stuff to release a week or two after.

• ZakuRed
    October 10, 2016 at 11:15 pm

how are you summoning a soul spirit when you’re in combat?

• Jeremy luyt
    October 13, 2016 at 5:02 am

im just starting and i am very interested in building a good PVE SW Damnation, i am just curently grinding and will keep in touch for advise

October 20, 2016 at 11:49 pm

My new builds will be coming out on Friday… Look for them =)

• Brandon Aronhalt
        October 21, 2016 at 1:08 am

I’ve been using this Soulbinder Damnation build, haven’t respec’d and I’ve already noticed a damage increase w Mod 10. I’m thinking of running a Soulbinder Fury build bc I’d hate to lose Sparks by switching to Hellbringer. Thoughts?

October 26, 2016 at 9:21 am

SB won’t be viable any longer with the fix of KF/MF glitch. Soul Sparks alone will not due enough DPS.. HB Fury is the way to go for pure DPS as Pillar of Power is unbeatable right now

• Jimmy Gurganus
    October 19, 2016 at 1:49 am

What changes are there for Modern 10?

• October 19, 2016 at 6:44 pm

I love soulbinder damnation and I really dont want to have to respec to something else.. is damnation a lost cause now?

October 26, 2016 at 9:22 am

It’s not a lost cause. It just depends on how you want to play now. Damnation is more tanky and can live longer.. but does less DPS and is more group support now. HB Fury can be pure DPS but you need a decent item level to show the true power.

• Matt aka vegas1123
    October 20, 2016 at 3:04 am

Garl i really liked the damn mod 9 build. Need your mod 10 opinion hurry hurry hurry.

• toflux
    October 24, 2016 at 9:49 am

Hey Garl, I need for some advice… I’m on PS4, now I’m trying to farm Orcus set, but you know, is not so easy.
    So now I’ve some doubt if farm lostmouth set or going for pieces with stats I need, without have a set…
    What do you think?

PS: in this moment I’ve only belt from lostmouth…

October 26, 2016 at 9:24 am

If you don’t have either set. Just get a Black Ice Belt for the stats and whatever neck/artifacts for now until you can get the full Orcus Set.

• toflux
        October 26, 2016 at 9:44 am

Thanks for response 🙂
        Yeah I’m thinking to get Lostmouth neck and black ice belt. For a mistake I buy the Belt of Black Ice and not the Greater (I do not see it on AH, so I presume on PS4 no people sell it…).
        Do you think it is viable until I can get Orcus?
        Also, on wiki is not clear… I’ve to farm 100.000 BI in order to take the Greater Belt of Black Ice like the cloack?
        Thanks man!