[Mod 9] Sylvanas Windrunner’s PvE HR High Crit/Lifesteal Build

by Sylvanas Windrunner on May 9, 2016

[Mod 9] Sylvanas Windrunner’s PvE HR High Crit/Lifesteal Build

Hello everyone! My ingame name is Sylvanas Windrunner some of you may know me as the guild leader of Death To The Unsuspecting and my main character is a Trapper Hunter Ranger. I’ve recently had a lot of people asking me for my build so i decided I’d make a guide for everyone! Not to mention I haven’t seen a lot of guides/builds for the HR recently. Now please keep in mind I’m only 3k Item level so the guide is a work in progress and I will update as i go. But I can guarantee you’ll be pushing a lot of dps. Alright with all that said let’s get down to it!

• Being that the HR’s core abilities are DEX and WIS, the best choice for race would be a Dragonborn for the +2 in any base roll stat which you would put into DEX and WIS. You’ll also get +3% to your power and critical strike, and 5% more healing from all spells and abilities.
  • If you cant afford the Dragonborn race the Wood Elf would be a close second in my opinion, which is what I chose being I prefer the appearance of the Wood Elf over the Dragonborn. As a Wood Elf you get a +2 to DEX and WIS. Along with a 1% higher crit.
  • You could also choose Drow for the Dark Fire ability which will give you a 5% chance to reduce the the target’s Defense by 10%, along with +2 DEX/WIS
Base Stat Rolls

In my opinion DEX and WIS are important to the PvE HR so i rolled a 18 DEX and 18 WIS which of course is after you add your +2 to each. Add +1 to DEX and WIS every 10 levels.

• At wills: Hunter’s Teamwork/Rapid Shot
  • Encounters: Constricting Arrow/Cordon of Arrows/Fox’s Cunning
  • Dailies: Seismic Shot/Forest Ghost
  • Personal’s: Aspect of the Serpent/Aspect of the Lone Wolf (You could also use Crushing Roots Instead of Lone wolf for a little more crowd control)

The rotation for the build is very important for max dps. So you’ll want to open with Fox’s Cunning, then hit them with a Hunter’s Team work for the damage debuff, then Constricting Arrow. Now here’s where it can get a little complicated, you’ll want to tap right bumper twice to switch to melee stance then back to ranged so your Biting Snares feat will proc and youll get a 30% damage increase. After that you hit Cordon of Arrows then switch back to melee with RB then before you start with melee you use Careful Attack(Hunter’s Teamwork in melee stance) for the debuff which makes you and your teammates do more damage to the target. After that you’ll come in close and use Plant Growth, Steel Breeze, and then Fox Shift. Rinse and repeat.

A lot of people like the dragonflight gear but being this is a crit build I prefer not to use it being you’ll lose a lot of crit so I personally went with 2/4 Dusk and 2/4 Elven(T2 gear that you buy with the Seals of the Protector). Go with the pieces that have the most crit.I chose the dusk set 2/4 due to the set bonus you gain while in a group. You’ll get an extra 1k Power, 1k Defense and 5k HP. In the pic you will see that I did transmute for appearance but the items I use are as follows.

• Dusk Raid Hood
  • Elven Assault Coat
  • Elven Assault Bracers
  • Dusk Raid Gaiter

For the rings I’d say its really personal preference but make sure they are double slot rings for more enchants. You could go with a +5 ring from Underdark/Maze Engine that has crit or power (like the ring of Brutality +5) which I am currently farming for. I’ll update this guide with my final decision on the rings later. If you don’t want to farm for the +4/+5 double slot rings you could get your Jewel crafting to level 25 and make the Personalized Adamant Ring of Piercing. I’m currently using that and the Ring of Ambush +4 (so i don’t agro mobs during dailies)

Artifact Set

For the HR you’ll want to go with the Lostmauth Set for the extra hit of damage every time you crit. This set can be obtained through farming ELOL or buying the pieces from the trade house. The set consists of the following:

• Lostmauth’s Hoard Necklace
  • Golden Belt of Puissance
  • Lostmauth’s Horn of Blasting

Get your leather working up to 25 to make the gemmed leather shirt and pants the set consists of the following:

• Gemmed Exquisite Elemental Shirt
  • Gemmed Exquisite Elemental Pants

I really like the twisted set for the HR for the amazing set bonus.(Gain Paranoia:gain 160 Defense when struck, lose a stack of bloodlust. Bloodlust: gain 160 power when you strike an enemy, lose a stack when struck. Can stack 24 times.) With my boons, Dusk set, group buffs from DC/OP, and the set bonus from the Twisted set I can get my Power over 24k. Keep in mind that the Twisted set is a pain to grind for but i promise the reward is well worth it!

• Twisted Toxo
  • Twisted Xiphoi
  • Lantern of Revelation – Crit/Armpen/CA
  • Sigil of the controller – Power/Crit/Control Resist
  • Sigil of the Trickster – Crit/Deflect/CA

Keep in mind you could switch the Sigils out with the Symbol of Water or Thayan Book of the Dead. I chose the sigils as a time consuming cheap alternative.

For the enchantments you want to focus on crit and lifesteal

• Offense: Azure Enchantment for crit
  • Defense: Dark Enchantment for lifesteal
  • Utility: 2 Dragon Hoard Enchantments and 3 Fey Blessing Enchantments
  • Weapon: Dread Enchantment for crit severity and a nice debuff
  • Armour: Shadowclad Enchantment for some deflect or Soul Forged Enchantment for a revive

These are my stats as of now. I’m working for more Life Steal.

The boons that I have chosen are mostly crit/lifesteal based. I’m currently working on the Maze Engine campaign and will post an image of the boons i have chosen when I’m done.

• Legendary Black Dragon Ioun Stone: Increases Critical Chance by 10% when you are below 50% HP. Now with the BDIS you’ll want to put Profane Runestones in the offense slots for more crit. You’ll also want to put some personalized rings on it with Azures in offense and Darks in the defense slots for extra stats. Also try to get it to legendary for the legendary bonus.
  • Epic Fire Archon: Increases damage against targets with less than 50% HP by +7%
  • Epic Air Archon: Increases damage against targets not at full HP by +5%. Each additional active archon increases this bonus by .5%.
  • Epic Earth Archon: Increases damage against targets by 6% when you are at full HP. Each additional active archon increases this bonus by .5%.
  • Epic Skeleton Dog: +300 Life Steal

I’m currently working on getting testing different insignia combos and will update this post when I find the mounts and combos I like. As of now I’m switching between the Heavy Howler for +2k Crit and the Dusk Unicorn for the +2k Life Steal depending on the situation I’m in.

NOTE: This build is a work in progress and will be updated as I go.

And that just about sums it up guys. I hope you learned something from this build. If you have any questions or constructive criticism please leave a comment below or shoot me an email. I’d like to give a big thanks to my guild Death To The Unsuspecting◊ for being there for me! If you’d like to run with me or my guild sometime please feel free to contact me in game! (Xbox Only)

Sylvanas Windrunner@wafflecrisp9692

• Andy
    May 9, 2016 at 3:37 pm

Sup Syl,

Its Sara. Pumped to see you finally posted your build. This will come in quite handy for me to follow in building up my HR. I can attest to this build, I only have some of the components to this build and this is def. a solid build. It’s a hard hitter for sure. To any doubters, I’ve run with Sly and his build melts enemies.

• Shandar
    May 14, 2016 at 3:53 am

Good read. Gives me some things to consider as I am nearing a respec. I’m 3100 IL and currently the cookie cutter trapper build. Considering Taco’s build but see some merit here as well. You really need to try a fast striker companion with Bonding runestones though . I ran the same augment as you till about a month ago. Will not go back to an Augment. I am comparable level to you but have my stats weighted to power curently. About 16500 power and 9500 crit unbuffered but when I go into combat and companions gifts proc 3 times which is almost immediately my power goes to 30k and crit to around 20k. I know the price of the bonding stones are hard to swallow. Mine are 11’s still.

• Boogy
    May 17, 2016 at 1:40 am

Is this for Xbox? If so, what’s hunters dream work because either I’m blind and don’t see it or it doesn’t exist on Xbox lol trying to follow this build as best as I can. Had to respec.

• Sylvanas Windrunner
      June 26, 2016 at 9:30 pm

yes it is for xbox and hunter’s team work is an at will under the lvl 35 powers and you have to be pathfinder

• NightShade
    May 22, 2016 at 6:36 pm

Hi, i’m lvl 65 and can’t solo Pwent, I don’t feel like having “good” dps and I almost die immediatly. I guess I just get wrong with Hunters… Thanks for the guide tho.

• J.A.
    May 24, 2016 at 2:35 am

I’m sure you are aware of this, but it’s not in the build. If you run the Dusk Unicorn (like you mentioned) you can stack Insignia to help with life steal. With that mount specifically you can out 2 eye ball insignia (can’t remember the name) and 1 Crescent insignia. This allows for you to heal like 1.5% of your health for every crit you land. This stacks as well so if you have multiple mounts that allow for this combination you can get a higher percentage.

Thanks for this build! It helped a lot with my HR.

• Varis Stalkingwolf
    May 29, 2016 at 10:31 am

Hey Syl. I like the guide so far, it’s very helpful!

I have a question regarding the Pathfinder Trapper. You have more feats maxed out on your Trapper branch than the PC version of Neverwinter currently allows; PC users can assign a max of 26 feat points to a single branch of the feat tree – unless there’s some sort of pay-to-spec feature I don’t know about .

Are there any specific Trapper feats you could recommend I have at the expense of others?

• Sylvanas Windrunner
      June 26, 2016 at 9:34 pm

well this guide is for xbox and if youre talking about paragon feats you should have 41 at lvl 70. But really the best trapper feat in my opinion is swiftness of the fox due to the fact you have no cool downs on encounters.

• Wisj
    May 29, 2016 at 2:08 pm

Youre missing Elemental Evil Campaigns and what boons should you pick for HR

• Sylvanas Windrunner
      June 26, 2016 at 9:35 pm

We just got the elemental evil camp on xbox about a week ago so im working on updating the guide 🙂

• Padfe
    June 2, 2016 at 9:57 pm

Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this! I respeccced my toon to this today and I am loving it!

• Barilisk
    June 20, 2016 at 1:45 am

Hi, love the build, been using it for a while now and dps is astounding. Only one thing, I’ve noticed you do not have the Elemental Evil Campaign boons listed. Which ones are you currently using, and are they the ones you would recommend?

• Sylvanas Windrunner
      June 26, 2016 at 9:36 pm

We just got the EE camp on xbox so ill update the guide soon so keep an eye out for that 🙂

• Monkn
    July 23, 2016 at 4:19 am

I am trying to use your build as I level. Though I am seeing that my melee attacks seem to be stronger then range. Is this norm? Also can you show what attacks are. As in rotation.

• Sceaduo
    July 23, 2016 at 11:41 am

Any update?

• ryankhx
    July 24, 2016 at 6:00 am

Just started playing on ps4 and rollin an HR and was curious if their are any professions you would recommend I’ve been looking at leadership but I think it was nerfed to not give a lot of AD anymore so I’m not sure what to do.

• Ulnias
      August 13, 2016 at 12:36 am

Jewelcrafting is a must first… always for every char and class you make. As the personalized rings/belts/necklaces have to be made by each char as they are bound on pickup. Generally after that, you pick what is suited for your class as far as shirt and pants. Being either Tailoring, Leatherworking, Msilsmithing, or Platesmithing.

• Padfe
    July 26, 2016 at 7:48 pm

I have a question. Still loving the build, btw.
    On the Dread Ring boons I was looking at the final one and was torn between the Endless Consumption for the life steal, or go with Rampaging Madness instead? Your opinion on this would be much appreciated,. Thanks!

• Soham01
    August 20, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Hello, ive been using the build for a while and love it! One thing I want to ask is what boons did you pick for the elemental evil campaign? Thanks

• Mike
    September 3, 2016 at 10:57 am

Awesome Build.

• Tiff
    September 7, 2016 at 11:42 pm

Curious to know if you have completed The Maze Engine boon yet?

• Slendermesh
    September 14, 2016 at 8:53 pm

I’ve got a lot of questions. you choose not to use bonding companions and I could get that you get the static boost from augment buy the burst from companions is so high and is running enough that I feel like it’s a bigger constant buff regardless.
    Everyone runs lone wolf or crushing roots but in group play I don’t like either, except pvp crushing roots all the way, but I have been using serpent and seekers because of the big buff when hitting from behind which is where I fight anyways but do you think pack might actually be better? I don’t feel like it is but I’m still a ps4 scrub so I don’t know.

On encounters I use exactly what you have here but I’m curious about switching these up some, I read some posts from around February that talked about changing from these encounters to running longstriders, hindering and constricting instead and basically they were saying they believe it to be a dps gain, something to do with the serpent procs and the speed of the encounters (no long animations like cordon and fox). I can’t really test this because I don’t have the power points into these abilities so I’m just wondering if you have any thoughts here.

• Dustin
    September 15, 2016 at 5:59 am

What’s powers and atwills do you run when you solo? Like when you do dailys?

• Slendermesh
    September 15, 2016 at 5:08 pm

So I did some testing last night and I have a note on your rotation. You have listed to perform careful attack at the start of your rotation in melee stance but this is actually bad. If you do careful attack at the beginning of your melee rotation it will immediately consume both stacks of AotS resulting in a 12-15% damage lost on plant growth and steel breeze. I also ran seekers vengeance as a static passive with AotS instead of lone wolf or pack, I’ve generally like this, I think it’s a small increase over aspect of the pack and in group play I run with a tank using a frost enchant which makes crushing roots redundant.

The second thing I tried was changing my powers up to use longstriders shot, hindering shot and constricting arrow. I was sure this would be a massive dps loss especially because not all of these are rank 4 yet. But I was pleasantly surprised to find that I actually seemed to do slightly more damage, especially single target. I think individually the powers are somewhat weaker but only gushing wound has any kind of actual cast animation so you are really flying through your rotation a lot more here plus everything is doing damage so I think it actually ends out being a bit of a damage increase. I can only speculate here though because I’m on ps4 and not able to parse and could not get a flat baseline because it was late and people kept going to bed.

• Lord FarSight
    September 18, 2016 at 5:35 pm

Greetings Sylvanas, I was wondering if you have completed the elemental evil campaign yet? Ifrom you have do you mind telling me what is the final boon you choose? I’m kinda stuck between going with gale of retribution for critical, or furious whirlwind for life steal?

I am using your build on ps4 and I am really enjoying how this works, thank your for taken the time to post it up for us!

• Brianna@mro1978 on pc
    September 23, 2016 at 4:53 am

I use this for my main and she just destroys stuff. I hardly ever die unless I’m careless or bite off more than I can chew as far as trying to go to an area when I’m not ready for it. There are next to no downtimes between your encounter powers and you build up your daily faster than a warlock. Decent buff/debuff with hunter’s teamwork and careful attack. Just a really fun class to play as. Hope to start running epic dungeons soon once I get my gear score up above 2500. I most always finish 2nd or 3rd (with the occasional 1st) on the damage leaderboard when I run Throne of the Dwarven Gods even though there are 3000+ gear people running them. Knowing my 2300+ gs toon can keep up/beat people with 2500-3000+ makes this a great build.

• Daniel Onofriechuk
    September 28, 2016 at 2:56 pm

After running an invincible OP for around a year I got bored. Thanks for the guide which I will use for my baby fresh HR

• October 22, 2016 at 6:19 am

are you going to update it for MOD 10 also?