Xbox – Steph Curry Hunter Ranger (High Damage/Control Trapper)

by Duq Seaplus on May 14, 2015

Xbox – Steph Curry Hunter Ranger (High Damage/Control Trapper)

*Updated* 5/24/2015

Damage Output (Xbox)

Neverwinter Xbox PvP

So first things first … stop spec’ing your Hunter for only range or only melee right now; trapper is the only way we are going to start earning respect in epic dungeons. Help me, help you, which will then help me. My max damage in a dungeon is 53 million in Castle Never (had a Wizard and Rogue with us that had higher gear scores but did less damage). I just recently did the Spellplagued dungeon with 4 DPS characters and 1 Tank and topped the damage charts there despite having the lowest gear score in the group. But this build offers support in addition to it’s insane damage output and excellent survivability. It can also be used in PvP, usually with great success.

Everyone’s ideal group (on Xbox) seems to be GF, DC, TR, CWx2 … and everyone is wrong. I guarantee you will out DPS any Rogue or Wizard and also rival the control abilities of Wizards by using this trapper build. We are calling this the “Steph Curry Hunter Ranger” build because we will constantly be crossing up monsters and players just before we step back for the thr—I mean kill. Put your at-will powers away because we are spamming encounters until the drakes come home. So let’s begin …

I chose Stormwarden (at level 30) because of the Twin-Blade Storm power. You could go Pathfinder if you think the Hunters Teamwork at-will power provides more utility in boss fights and PvP.

Hindering Shot / Hindering Strike
Constricting Arrow / Steel Breeze
Fox’s Cunning / Fox Shift (I use Binding Arrow / Oak Skin during some boss fights because Shift’s teleporting can get you into trouble at times)
Seismic Shot (I am playing around with Forest Ghost but still prefer Seismic Shot in most situations.)
Class Features:
Aspect of the Serpent
Twin-Blade Storm (Aspect of the Pack is an alternative that helps the entire team. I still plan on using TBS in PvP and in dungeons while not in a boss fight. If you prefer AotP over TBS, then you should go Pathfinder and use Hunters Teamwork … still recommend Stormwarden for PvPers but I am tempted to go Pathfinder now)
***you can use the other power points for whatever else you want because it won’t matter***

Hunter Trapper Feats for Xbox
***if you prefer more action points, feel free to move around any feats that affect your movement***

Overview (Rotation, Stats, Class):

You are constantly rooting enemies, very briefly going invincible with the Fox powers, and have almost unlimited stamina with Steel Breeze. You will need to get used to a rotation that works for you but that takes maybe half a dungeon. For a suggested rotation, I seem to always use Constricting Arrow first in order to keep a group of mobs together and Fox Shift is usually the first melee power used after switching stances. But again I suggest playing around with the powers and be willing to adapt to different situations. Also, with this build we are moving around a lot and it can be hard to heal us at times, but that is fine because we rarely get hit.

In regards to stats, DEX and WIS are the two you will put points into. You can play around with power, crit, armor pen, defense, etc. to see what fits you best. At first I focused on power and crit, but I have since began upping my defense and deflection since our damage output is already so freaking high.

And as for which class you should select, I went with Wood Elf for the extra Dex, WIS, and crit … but I suggest picking whatever you like best because I don’t think it will make a huge difference. Have fun with it!

Important Notes:

Try to hit at least 2 enemies with each attacking power so that you don’t have to wait on encounter cooldowns and so that you maximize Twin-Blade Storm.
Enemies can still attack while rooted.
Fox Shift seems to make you immune during its animation, but BE WARNED, you could fall to your death by teleporting to a monster that your teammates are pushing off the map.
Be smart about where and when to use your powers if you have someone else in your party doing the kiting; these powers deal mostly AoE damage.

Let me know if you have any questions. TWITCH LINK HERE so you can see the build in action when I am online … I won’t start streaming a lot until early June (moving soon).

Duq Seaplus

• Maxx
    May 14, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Your title says “XB1” but your skills chosen reflects the current PC version of the game (having more feats than the xbox version), so I’m a little confused.

• Duq Seaplus
      May 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I used Neverwinter Calculator in Xbox Mode to recreate my feats. I see 20 heroic feats and 41 paragon feats. So I guess I disagree with the thought that these are more feats than the xbox version allows. I am willing to update this if it is wrong; I just don’t see it.

• Duq Seaplus
      May 14, 2015 at 5:05 pm

After looking over it a 3rd time, you are right! Updating it now with this image 🙂

• ThatBoyRaw
    May 14, 2015 at 5:49 pm

In your pic there are a total of 11 trapper feats, but in game there are only 9. Also there’s 20 heroic points and 41 paragon points spent in the pic when the max is 20/31. Can someone explain this discrepancy to me?

• Duq Seaplus
      May 14, 2015 at 5:53 pm

The Feats image should be updated to reflect the correct (Xbox) ones available. If it is not yet updated, we may need to give an administrator time to approve my update?

• Jug
    May 17, 2015 at 2:43 am

What Gear are you using? I’ve got a 15k gear score and I already had my character set up practically identical to yours and I’m not doing anywhere close to 49 million damage.

• Duq Seaplus
      May 17, 2015 at 6:19 am

My gear score is only at 13k and the 49mil was when I was around 11k. It was a bad group and I was one of only two with dps characters. I don’t really get near that number if it is a balanced group

• Angel
    May 17, 2015 at 6:49 am

what gear do u use? Just made a hr during 2x and curious on what t2 gear u use

• Duq Seaplus
      May 17, 2015 at 2:27 pm

GWarden helm, armor, off hand.
      GWarden of Drake for main hand because my teams can never beat the Dread Vault final boss (I am playing a lot of PvP to get one of the Profound main hands.
      For feet and arms I switch between Royal and Grim Combatant (I mostly use Grim but will use Royal if I want just a little bit more damage).

• Hc
    May 18, 2015 at 2:39 am

What in the slots?

• Duq Seaplus
      May 18, 2015 at 4:04 am

Utility – Dark runestones for the movement unless I am doing PvP
      Defense and Offense – Whatever you need to get power near 4k and crit/armor pen around 3k … then start increasing deflection, life steal, and defense … no need to touch recovery with this build
      Weapon – Lifedrinker if you are getting hit a lot or Plague Fire/Vorpal for damage
      Armor – Soulforged

• KatoZee
    May 22, 2015 at 8:35 am

I would recomend you change your rotation latter stages to Steel Breeze, then Hindering Strike. Breeze has a larger radius than hindering, thus if you use in that order it builds in extra time for mobs to close in and thus increases your chances of capping on the roots for hindering.

Also if you change first colum in the trapper line the other way around and give yourself a speed boost rather than ap gain, you wouldn’t need to shift away. Especially since you have chosen not to utilise first colume heroric feats 5/5 to increase daily power damage, having one without the other is slighlty contradictory.

• Duq Seaplus
      May 22, 2015 at 12:30 pm

My rotation definitely changes for the situation, but for whatever reason steel breeze always felt best as the last melee power. I’ll switch it up next time and see how I like it.

Also thanks for the input with the feats. I believe the setup in the feats image above was the speed boost, but you are right I am not really shifting much to get out of melee range (depends on situation). I do prefer extra speed and stam over building AP … but really this build generates both so well that it shouldn’t matter which way a person goes.

• Bubbles
    May 26, 2015 at 8:32 pm

The Eli Manning build I found is doing more dmg than the Seth Curry build.

• Bannanna
    June 16, 2015 at 11:57 pm

What are you RT and LT slots?

• ShadowWind75
    June 27, 2015 at 3:02 am

What are you using for at will?

• Bannanna
    July 21, 2015 at 7:13 pm

What gear and enchantments would you suggest?

• Zj
    February 1, 2016 at 6:13 am

Could u add a pic of ur power list please

• Jeffrey (Stircake} (iHurt - hunter)
    April 11, 2016 at 2:05 pm

I’ve done Str and Dex instead of De and Wis. this works pretty insane for my dps and pvp is beautiful, sometimes going 15+ kills and 2 or less deaths.