Spellstorm Thaumaturge Control Wizard (Pvp/PvE)

by Alex Soul on November 12, 2014
Control Wizard

Spellstorm Thaumaturge Control Wizard (Pvp/PvE)

Race: Human

Gender: Female

Paragon Path: Spellstorm
Feat Path: Thaumaturge

Gear: Elemental Corrupted Black Ice, is what I plan to go for. But I’ll have one of the four Elemental Sets as well. Until then just get a set of T2 to tide you over while you work on your black ice.

Offense Slots:
— Radiant Enchantment (Weapon)
— Radiant Enchantment(Tailsman)

Overload Slot:
— Black Ice, or Dragon Glyphs

Armor Slot:
–Soulforged Enchantment

Weapon Slot:
— Plaguefire or Vorpal

— Lantern of Revelation, this is the Artifact most of you will only be able to get your hands on for a while, unless you tend to buy zen alot in which case you can buy other artifacts off the auction house, if you so choose.

—Heart of the Red Dragon, you get this from the Dragonborn Legend Pack

—Sigil of the Controller, Vault of the Nine Quest.

—Sigil of the Scourge, Vault of the Nine Quest.

Sharandar= Dark Fey Hunter; Fey Precision; Elven Haste; Elven Ferocity; Elvish Fury

Dread Ring= Reliquary Keeper’s Strength; Illusory Regeneration; Forbidden Piercing; Shadowtouch; Endless Consumption

Icewind Dale= Encroaching Tactics; Appreciation of Warmth; Sleet Skills; Cool Resolve; Winter’s Bounty

Tyranny of Dragons= Dragons Claws; Dragons Gaze; Draconic Armorbreaker; Dragon’s Blood; Dragon’s Fury

PvP= Legions Valor; Vanguards Resolve; Versatile Warrior

===Black Dragon Ioun Stone, Put Rings of the Loyal Commander in the ring Slots, with Radiants in the Offense, and whatever you want in the Defense. As for the Runestone slots, put bonding Runestones in them.

===Air Archon

===Fire Archon

===Earth Archon

===Water Archon

Class Features: For Class Features, I used Eye of the Storm, and Storm Spell, and then the moment you’re able to switch to Eye of the Storm, and Arcane Power Field

Power Tray for PvE: these really depend on your preference of attack
Tab- Disintegration
Q- Icy Terrain
E- Steal Time
R- Conduit of Ice
Left Mouse- Chilling Cloud
Right Mouse- Storm Pillar
Daily 1- Ice Knife
Daily 2- Oppressive Force

Power Tray for PvP:
These really depend on what you prefer to do in Pvp, so play around with different combos
Tab- Icy Rays
Q- Entangling Force
E- Ray of Enfeeblement
R- Chill Strike
Left Mouse- Magic Missile
Right Mouse- Storm Pillar
Daily 1- Ice Knife
Daily 2- Oppressive Force

• Ogura
    December 7, 2014 at 3:08 pm

Are master of flame also good at pvp? Because almost every CWs chose Spellstorm…

and in low levels like 25-45 what items do I need more in pvp? Like for amors if I need to find items which has plenty of power with crit, something like that and about echantments too.

Please help. 😀

• Alex
      December 16, 2014 at 6:59 pm

In my experience MoF is better for pvp when it comes to CW’s, with SS being better for PvE. Though they can both be changed to work good for either.

For low lvl pvp, You can do 1 of two things. Use AD to buy some pvp gear off the auction house that you can use for your lvl. Or use of your glory to buy the blues for your lvl from the pvp vendor.

I prefer Black Ice for PvP, and it can also be used for PvE. It has good stats as well as Tenacity, which means you won’t have to carry around multiple sets of armor, and just have to stick with one.

For black ice, Corrupted is more dps, with purified being more tanky. Though it takes a while to get black ice.

So as you can see there are a few things you can do.

• Richy
    December 29, 2014 at 11:49 am

I run a Cw and are stuck at 16k. Think it’s too expensive to refine radiant rank 7+ and all the others I’ve Rank 7. Is it cheaper to buy a rank 9, than to refine?

I run with lesser Vorpal, it is worth going up to Vorpal?
    I use a Golden Dragon Talisman Rank 35.
    What I will start to rank up?
    Other is, the whole purified b-ice but arms GDT + GrimOrb Thaumaturg.

• Alex
      January 23, 2015 at 8:57 am

I’m going to be updating this soon. SO it might hep ya a bit.

I’m saving up to buy rank 10s(one at a time), to replace my rank 7s. You can also make rank 7s,, and sell them, to get more AD to buy higher rank enchantments.

It is worth getting a higher vorpal. I plan to get a Perfect Vorpal as soon as I am able.
      I have yet to get my off-hand, need a few more tiamat runs.
      As a CW, you’re more dps then tank. It’s better to use the Corrupted then the purified. At least that’s my opinion. There’s no real need for a cw to use purified, unless it’s power/crit/armor pen, is naturally high on it’s own.

• Nathan
    January 26, 2015 at 4:26 am

This build works with spell storm mage? And how i make the powers? help-me please

• Alex
      May 25, 2015 at 1:03 am

This is a Spellstorm.
      You get powers by leveling up. The higher level you are, the more powers you have access to.

• cody johnson
    May 15, 2015 at 5:43 am

Was curious to know what, class features do you use, like the class perks? Like orb of imposition for example, or chilling presence, evocation, whats the most effective class features to use?

• Alex
      May 25, 2015 at 1:04 am

I added those to the post, thank you for reminding me of them.
      The build has also been updated, so it’s now good for the current Mod.
      But to answer your question.
      Eye of the Storm, and Storm Spell.
      And when you’re able switch Storm Spell for Arcane Power Field.

• Rob
    August 26, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Great guide. I have noticed I probably should have read at least a couple of guides before I started but I couldn’t wait. I am already a lvl 27 control wizard and after seeing a couple of guides I seriously need to re-spec. I am playing on the Xbox one. What would be the best spells I should map and where. Many of the guides I am seeing are lvl 60s which at the moment doesn’t help me just yet. I know it will in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Alex Soul
      September 14, 2015 at 9:16 pm

The spells you want to work up to are listed in my build towards the bottom.
      Before that while you’re leveling up, it’s really up to you what you want to use.
      However as soon as you get steal time, and conduit of ice, use those.
      Chilling cloud is good, but that’s cause the weapon I have works with it. So if while you’re leveling before you get a weapon artifact it’s alright to use magic missile.
      Only thing is magic missile hits one enemy. Chilling cloud is an AOE
      If you’re planning on soloing as a CW go for spells that are AOE
      If you’re planning to level with someone, then a mix of single target and AOE work as well.

Spells really depend on the player, everyone likes to use different things, but above is just my two cents.

• Rob
        October 12, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Thanks. I was hoping you could help me understand. Why would I use Conduit of Ice when I look in the Powers section, the damage output is so small compared to others like Storm Pillar. Even Ray of Frost is low. What am I missing? Do these powers like Conduit of Ice deal more damage when they stack with others? I am mostly soloing but I want what is most effective at lvl 70. Any further insight in what powers are mapped on the Xbox controller would be greatly appreciated,

• HaloBresc
    September 14, 2015 at 7:17 pm

What about ability scores??

• Alex Soul
      September 14, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I put a point in intellegence and charisma whenever i was able.
      However if you’re lacking in an area an want to use an ability point to make up for that it’s alright to.
      I ended up having:
      12 strength
      12 constitution
      10 dexterity

25 intelliegence
      15 wisdom
      24 charisma

I have a greater sash of charisma on which is one of the reasons my charismas so high.