Great Weapon Fighter

[outdated] GWF Sentinel IV Build for PvP (Tenacity) by Swordfish

by Swordfish on March 9, 2014

Many people sent me tells to do an update for my Build (Old Build) if the new PvP Patch with Tenacity will be live, here is my Update for you:

There are 2 Options for you. Still keep your Regeneration with your old gear and use only 10% Tenacity or lose a lot of Regeneration and stack Tenacity, Hitpoints and Armor Penetration. At first I was testing around with Option 1 to keep my Regeneration and old gear (it was 2100 Regen before the Patch) but you are not able anymore to hold a Point a longer time against 3 Enemies, a 2on1 will be hard too now. Your new Arch Enemy is Healing Depression now! If you get strucked by a Foe, all your Healing will be decreased by 50% (exceptional Potions).

I’ve used a Respec to change my Boons, now I’m using the Redcap Brew Boon for 10% more healing on Potions (500+ more HP healing with a PvP Potion) instead of Fey Thistle but the Fey Thistle boon is still good to reflect damage and proc debuffs on Foes. I’m not using Imposing Scrappers and Titans Gear anymore, I’m using the full Grim Sentinel Gear now to get a lot of Tenacity, more Power and the 4 Set Bonus grants you 5% more Deflection + I’m using a Profound Necklace with Hitpoints, Armor Pen, Critical Strike and Tenacity (look at Trade of Blades, there are new Vendors). With that Change on your Gear you will lose Regeneration, 1800 Hitpoints (but you will get some HP back from the Grim Gear) and the Lifesteal but you get more Power, Tenacity and some Hitpoints. I still have almost 1400 Regeneration (Artifacts, Belt and Rings), it helps a little Bit. (+ Healing Boons, Artifacts and Potions). Just play more defensive, use your Brain and with almost 20% Tenacity you are still able to hold a point a longer Time against 2 Enemies.

Healing Depression affects: Healing Spells, Regeneration, Lifesteal, Healing Boons, Healing Artifacts, Temporary Hitpoints (Unstoppable is nerfed now), Soulforged, Lifedrinker and Bloodtheft.

Pre Information:

• Hitpoints: 36500+
  • Damage Resistance: 44.9% (+ 19.2% from Tenacity)
  • Deflection Chance: 39% (50% Severity)
  • Hitpoint Regeneration: 10.2% (~ 1400 Regeneration)
  • Critical Chance: 28% (90% Severity + 50% from Perfect Vorpal)
  • Tenacity Stats: 19.2% (Damage, Critical Damage and CC Resistance)
  • Run Speed Bonus: 5.6% (Dark Rank 7s in Utility Slots + 15% from Bravery Class Feature)

Race:

• Human – 3 more Feat points for the Heroic Path

or

• Halfling – 10% CC Resistance, +2 for CON (with a good roll you can get 24 CON on Level 60), 3% more Deflection Chance

Entchantments:

• Perfect Vorpal on Weapon (Deals still the highest Damage on Crits even against Tenacity stacked Foes)
  • Perfect SoulForged on Armor (You will get a Rez and you will be back in combat with a good chance to heal yourself to hold a node)
  • Dark Rank 8s or 9s in all offense Slots for Armor Penetration
  • 1 x Rank 9 Silvery for Deflection or 1 x Rank 9 Azure for Defense, rest Radiants Rank 9 for Hitpoints (Defense Slots)

Encounters, At-Wills & Dailies

• At Wills: Sure Strike, Threatening Rush
  • Encounters: Imdomitable Battlestrike, Takedown (or Roar for fighting perma stealth Rogues on a Node), Frontline Surge
  • Dailies: Imdomitable Strength, Savage Advance
  • Features: Weapon Master (stacks up your Crit and Deflection Chance), Bravery (Deflection and Movement)

Gear, Ability Points, Feats, Powers and Boons

comments
  • Nhuck Corris
    March 10, 2014 at 5:50 pm

Nice Build dude! I was playing PvP today (Rank 7 entchants and only greater vorpal) and I rocked the Battlefield! Thank you!

• Norisman
    March 11, 2014 at 12:41 am

Question, Human, at the creator ability point roll, why put the 2 points into Int?
    16 str +2 = 18
    14 con +6 = 20
    14 dex +6 = 20
    10 int +2 = 13
    10 wiz +2 = 12
    10 cha +2 = 12

• gorath
    March 14, 2014 at 8:47 am

This guide (sentinel) lost the efficience after healing nerf and pvp resi patch.

• Profile photo of Swordfish
      March 14, 2014 at 1:50 pm

Nope. With Tenacity you have more Damage and CC Resistaance + Critical Damage Resistance. Makes you a lot more tankier than before, if you are a good GWF, you will still rock with that Build. Just play defensive and know the weaks of your Enemies Classes.

• gorath
    March 15, 2014 at 8:30 am

With tenacity you dont have more dmg… you have dmg resistence, crit dmg resistence and cc resistence.
    You are takier than before thats right, but dont forget the enemy is tankier to, + sentinels selfheal was nerfed by 50%.
    @good gwf: Good players can allways rock not only with this build and not only with gwf.
    Your guide is not bad, i say only this build (sentinel) lost the efficience after tenacity patch and selfheal nerf the dps and selfheal drops immense.

• Hossa
      March 17, 2014 at 2:20 pm

He wrote “With Tenacity you have more Damage and CC Resistaance + Critical Damage Resistance” where did you read more Damage? Damage- and CC Resistance o.O

And more Damage with the Tenacity Gear might be right, more Power on the Senti Gear + Armor pen on Rings, Belts and Necklaces.

• Moruga
    March 18, 2014 at 11:51 am

I got a question regarding Artifacts.
    I have Emblem of seldarine in my bag and was thinking of maybe bring it for more survival. What do u guys think about it and Btw i love your build Swordfish

• Moruga
    March 18, 2014 at 6:43 pm

Nice oki then i will use it. I got it today after my 5th MC run 😀

• Striker
    March 23, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Can I get a little clarification? I noticed you spent 3 points on Discipline of strength. Why put any points in this one if you are not putting any points into strength?

• Beowolfe
    March 24, 2014 at 3:09 am

started using this build today. fresh 60 in the cheapest epics and am rockin in pvp.

• Profile photo of Swordfish
    March 24, 2014 at 3:15 pm

As a Sentinel you need to put your points in CON and DEX (Hitpoints, Resistance Ignored, Deflection- and Critical Chance) and you can balance the STR lack with Disciple of Strength and Steely Defense (Power equal to your Defense)

• Rhutay
    March 25, 2014 at 9:20 pm

this also serves to build pve?

• Profile photo of Swordfish
      March 27, 2014 at 1:45 am

Yes, you can also play PvE with that Build, you will be very tanky and your DPS is okay. For more DPS I would prefer the Avatar of War Gear (Helmet, Chest, Bracers, Greaves) + Stacking Radiants for Power.

• Striker
    March 26, 2014 at 12:32 am

Ok, thanks for the reply. I can see your point.

• Mark
    March 27, 2014 at 1:29 pm

Hi,can you tell what is the name of the armor that you changed?by the way AWESOME build,i use it now and its realy cool!!!

• Profile photo of Swordfish
      March 28, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Go to the PvP Vendor in Trade of Blades (Protectors Enclave) and buy the Grim Sentinels Gear or Profound Sentinels Gear (better on the Gear-Stats but different 2set Bonus).

And my Transmute on the Armor is called Scale of nine hells – you can find it in the Auction House.

• Viktor Kurgan
        June 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Scale of the Nine Hells armor looks great. I transmuted my armor as well, and transmuted my weapon to the Greataxe of Rage. Looks great. Thanks for the guide. I made some minor changes as well. I added Ubiquitous Shield for the 25% defense against combat advantage damage. Helps against TRs trying to backstab, and those 2V1s :)

• rays
    March 27, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Hi

what stats should i look when i gear up ? power? def? what are the priority.

btw even at lower lvl following this guide line rock in pvp always finnish top 1-3

great work swordfish.

• Profile photo of Swordfish
      March 28, 2014 at 2:20 pm

Priority: Hitpoints, Armor Penetration, Defense, Deflect and trying to keep a bit of Regeneration, I still keep 1300+ Regen while other GWFs dropped their Regen under 800.

Secondary: Critical Strike, Power

And thank you :)

• C.jey
    March 28, 2014 at 9:39 am

I AM VERY SURE I MET U IN PVP, I FORGOT IF AN ALLY OR AN ENEMY, SWORDFISH.

• cRuSheR
    March 31, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Very nice guide and build. With your build I’m top on the pvp score list often and it feels very tanky, TY!

• Luzgar
    April 4, 2014 at 6:01 am

What is the best roll for human in your opinion? Can you answer me as precisely as you can. Can you put series of the all stats?

• Profile photo of Swordfish
      April 4, 2014 at 2:01 pm

Try to get the most Points in DEX and CON (Primary for PvP) and STR (Secondary for PvP) + put the 2 extra Points in CON.

For example:
      First Roll: 12 STR, 16 CON (included +2), 14 DEX
      Level 60: 18 STR, 22 CON, 20 DEX

• Baltazar
    April 7, 2014 at 2:34 pm

What do you think about Grim / Profound Destroyer’s set?

• Lena
    April 12, 2014 at 7:12 am

I tried rolling… could only roll 16 on dex and con.

• Alex
    April 13, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Hello , i am Halfling so i dont have +3 points for feats !!! in which heroic feat should i not put points in ??? btw nice guide thx a lot !!!!

• Lena
    April 14, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Swordfish, I did…

• Buknoy
    April 15, 2014 at 4:23 am

Is there a server other than neverwinter server? this is the website i was registered on: nw.perfectworld.com
    i hope to see you in game swordfish and feel free to donate some of your “junks” to me. hehehe

• Lena
    April 15, 2014 at 11:06 pm

I rolled for like 10 minutes lol.

• April 17, 2014 at 2:09 am

Swordfish the best roll I could halfling was
    16 STR
    18 CON
    14 DEX
    It’s really the better?

• April 17, 2014 at 5:48 pm

If you were to create a character now, would create human or halfling?

• killa
    April 18, 2014 at 8:46 am

why you don’t use Greater Tenebrous instead of the Dark Ranks ?

• Profile photo of Swordfish
      April 24, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Because Enemies can mitigate the Tenebrous Burst Damage since it is nerfed. It can be deflected, dodged etc. Stacking Armor Penetration makes more sense (Resistance ignored).

• Viktor Kurgan
        June 29, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Swordfish, I run the Tenebrous build, and really max out on damage. It may be nerfed, but still works really well.

• @hattyhattington
    April 20, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Recently I’ve been sucking in pvp and I wondered why b/c my Equips were all t2, and i found out my power, feat, and my Ability score was all wrong. Do I have to buy a retraining token? And will 1 be enough to fix all of my stats or do i have to buy alot?

• Radus
    April 22, 2014 at 9:39 pm

I gimped one alt with this build. It rocks, my main is DC and now I get my revenge 😀
    What can you say about new changes regarding the crit?

• Profile photo of Swordfish
    April 25, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Btw. if you like to see me playing pvp, you can follow my Live-Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/swordfishgwf

• Mack
    April 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm

hey man,first of all your build rock i use it for pve also :) i have some question when you have the emblem with what artifact you will replace with? and i look alots of your video’s i wonder what are those items that you have at your keybinds 4 and 5?

keep up the good work^^

• May 4, 2014 at 6:53 am

Hi, is it ok I rolled 16 str, 16 con (+2 already) and 16 dex (+2 already)

• rays
    May 4, 2014 at 6:21 pm

have you tried the test server with the incoming change to gwf line?

• Profile photo of Javier
    May 5, 2014 at 1:11 am

Hi Swordfish! Does it work with Half Orcs?

• rays
    May 6, 2014 at 2:51 pm

what is your dps with this build?

• Michael92
    May 7, 2014 at 11:43 am

good guide, learned alot ty

• Profile photo of Javier
    May 11, 2014 at 1:51 am

How many ponits would you get in Armor Specialization, Steely Defense and Weapon Mastery as a Half Orc?

• Viktor Kurgan
      June 29, 2014 at 12:20 pm

Depends on what you want. I maxed out on Armor Specialization and Steely Defense and did not add anything in to Weapon Specialization. I just wanted my toon to be more tanky.

• May 14, 2014 at 11:24 am

Will you make anyupdates for the build now that the nerf hammer has been so thoroughly applied to the GWF with the comming of MOD3 ?

• Eltin
    May 17, 2014 at 6:45 am

What’s the current armor you have on right now? Like since Mod3 came out? And our you going to make any changes to the feats?

• liakocqq
    May 19, 2014 at 3:03 pm

make some updates for the icewilds’s boons please

• Acmo
    May 20, 2014 at 10:34 am

Build still relevant?

• Morgain
    May 25, 2014 at 1:59 am

really nice guide!

how about savage enchantment instead of dark?
    At rank 9 you will lost 120 armor pen. and gain 140 cirt each slot

I dunno if it worth (I use vorpal, so critic is very important for me)

• Profile photo of Svarog
    May 26, 2014 at 10:43 am

I don’t understand how you have 1386 regen… with those rings and belt and waters not ready to upgrade??

• Profile photo of Jordan
    May 29, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Would you make a halfling or a human.

• Leorick
    June 2, 2014 at 5:15 pm

Student of the sword got nerfed with last updates, so now it’s almost useless…

• Profile photo of Marowak
    June 6, 2014 at 9:27 pm

Hi SwordFish! Awesome guide! i justi download the game a few days ago and this guide is really helping me!

Question: What power i should use in pvp? or what combos? i tell you just download the game and no much idea about it!

• Eltin
    June 17, 2014 at 5:37 am

Anyway to improve in dungeons? Always go in it and people don’t understand that the build is for pvp not pve.

• Soldevi
    June 22, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Are you still using Sent Grim armor? Im loving this build and quickly gaining glory, on the top of the board almost every game! Thanks man..
    I need to find out what to spend the glory on! I already have a full heroic duelist set.
    Thanks

• demons
    July 5, 2014 at 9:38 pm

sorry but i cant see the picture, pls send to my mail
    email_1230@yahoo.com

• Muhammad
    July 28, 2014 at 3:42 pm

what are your thoughts on going 2 Grim Sentinel & 2 Grim Instigator – lowering the critical rate to roughly 20% and trade Lantern with heart of the dragon?

• BloodFlood
    August 4, 2014 at 3:59 pm

?’m trying your build dude. but what am i gonna do with pvp and icewind dale boons? can you add them too?

• August 5, 2014 at 8:18 am

so where fests for Icewined ? bro

• August 11, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Swordfish, please reply (before ToD)
    Why are you using a P.Vorpal, when you have 1.4k crit?
    Don’t you think plaque fire is the better choice here?
    I am leaving it up to you though.

• Bara
    August 15, 2014 at 2:16 pm

hey buddy, great guide, will you du a module 4 update for it?

• Jake
    August 18, 2014 at 10:03 am

How is this working after the Tyranny of Dragons patch?

Atleast my CW pvp rank rised from Invicible Overlord/Overlord (it tended to fluctuate) into Ultimate Tyrant and has been stayed there since, as there seems to be damage buff and meleeing GWFs doesn’t seem an automatically lost cause anymore (well I won GWF melees even before, but that was really rare).

I started a GWF after the patch just because everyone else was starting SWs and even though the low level PvP tells very little, but SWs probably will be the new damage kings for long time, before they are nerfed. They can run as GWFs and have great DPS. Will be quite annoying enemies…

• Jake
    August 19, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Also why didn’t you spend some points on improved reaction and use ferocious reaction? Instant 35% hitpoints healed when dropping under 15% health sounds really good in pvp…

• DDairon
    September 5, 2014 at 7:57 pm

Hey man nice guide, it still work on mod4?
    Thanks \o

• Bastila
    September 22, 2014 at 12:10 pm

I just started to tyrrany of dragons campaign what path should I choose for pvp build

• ahsrnzrk
    September 25, 2014 at 10:01 pm

you are awesome swordfish! nice guide! you still play though?

• Martillo Grande
    November 2, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Swordfish, thank you very much for this guide. I used this guide for my GWF for Mod 3 and really rocked the house. I added greater generous enchants for all the offense slots, and radians for all defense and did a to. Of damage. Of course, gear score will be low, and that’s how others judge you until they see you in action. I make up for any differences in damage with either using a greater plague fire or perfect Bilethorn, and both seem to work out well for me. Can you provide an update to your build based on the Mod 4 changes, especially with the new artifact weapons and the readjustment of GWF stats in the feats, please? I am pretty sure you have profound sentinel gear by now, so it would be great to see how you configured your character. My thanks from a fellow GWF.

• Profile photo of Matias
    December 3, 2014 at 10:34 pm

I wanna play as a tiefling… viable? what would i need to do?

• andre
    January 6, 2015 at 1:04 am

Is the halfling a mutch better choice or just a personal choice? i didnt like mutch how they looks like. is the h-Orcs or Dwarfs a good option to??? how should be the status??? i can never get the STR under 16

Leave a Response

Fonts by Google Fonts. Icons by Fontello.