Hyenas’ PvP TR Guide
Hyenas’ PvP TR Guide
I’ve noticed that more and more TRs are leaning towards defensive builds and/or perma-stealth builds in PvP currently. I want to share my build that I’ve been using for awhile to maybe inspire some more TRs to go an offensive route for PvP while still retaining survivability.
- Battlefield Skulker is the best armor set for TRs hands-down. 25% more stealth meter and 5% more damage while stealthed along with the helpful HP and Armor Penetration stats. HP is an important factor in high-end PvP matches. I added radiant enchantments to my defense slots for extra HP and Cloak of the Erupting Volcano gives me 500.
- I have a heavy emphasis on Armor Penetration and Regeneration. I have 2.9k ArPen from dark enchants, Skulker, and Daggers of the Dread Legion. The armor penetration allows me to have extremely high DPS in PvP- I hit hard. I have 2k Regen from Seal of the Executioners, Searing Belt, and Artifacts. Leveling up the artifacts is very worth it for the regen.
- I also have a balance of other skills. I have a nice amount of recovery and life steal. Life steal comes in handy while using Duelist’s Flurry. I have a decent amount of power and crit, and a Perfect Vorpal. I prefer Vorpal over Bilethorn, which many TRs use nowadays.
- I use a Perfect Soulforged, and it really comes in handy. Once the soulforged procs, I immediately follow it with the Bloodcrystal Raven Skull. I recieve temporary HP and by the time it reduces, I’ve regen’d a portion of it. Of course if you’re surrounded by enemies, there’s a good chance you’ll die in the next couple seconds after Soulforged procs, but there are more times than not in which surviving is possible.
Sneak Attack I love running faster in stealth. I like to use the combo of sneak attack and skillfull infiltrator, unless I’m using Shadow Strike.
Tenacious Concealment When I’m using Shadow Strike, I swap out Sneak Attack for this. It basically allows you to stay in stealth longer. Very useful when holding points against multiple opponents or fighting someone who has a DoT effect on you.
Skillful Infiltrator Good passive. Can’t go wrong with extra run speed, deflect chance, and crit chance.
Cloud of Steel Knives! Use to kill opponents with low HP or to severely damage squishy opponents.
Sly Flourish Don’t use- required point only.
Duelist’s Flurry Main damaging skill for TRs. Learn your timing for this, and your PvP will become significantly better. Practice on the dummies in the Trade of Blades. Work on hitting this from stealth- use the first two attacks without hitting the opponent then unleash the flurry on them. This will lessen the chance of them dodging before the flurry, which any smart opponent should do if they see you using this. Using Duelist’s and ITC is also a good strategy against GWFs and GFs, so you can hit the flurry without being proned.
Dazing Strike I use this sometimes in PvE for DPS.
Deft Strike The parkour skill! Deft to your companion or Bait and Switch dummy for some fun past invisible walls. If someone is ranging you from above in PvP (and you have time to wait for a cooldown) you can give them a nice surprise. Not maxed because I don’t use it for damage.
Lashing Blade This is where the majority of my damage comes from. Hit lashing from stealth for 15-30k crits- be sure they don’t dodge.
Bait and Switch I don’t use this skill- I have 1 slot filled so I can deft to it and parkour, and sometimes for fun to do an annoying perma-rotation in PvP.
Blitz I use this sometimes in PvE for DPS.
Impossible to Catch This is my favorite skill. Use this against everything: as soon as a CW hits a control effect skill on you, when they use a daily, against a GWF (use ITC initially against a GWF to avoid the knockdowns then kite when they’re in Unstoppable) and a GF (use ITC then Duelist’s Flurry to say bye-bye to their guard meter) so they can’t prone you, against another TR who uses Lashing Blade, to avoid smoke bombs, to get out of DC chains, to avoid being thrown off of a point… there are countless uses for ITC.
Path of the Blade Use this for 1v1s against other TRs or squishy opponents. The amount of damage is negligible against multiple targets.
Impact Shot Nice damaging skill. Squishy opponents can easily be two-shotted with a Lashing Blade followed by an Impact Shot(or a couple). This won’t do much to GWFs or GFs, but it’s reliable for fighting pretty much everything else. A nice trick to get a CW or HR to stop kiting you is to hit them with an Impact Shot from stealth, stunning them briefly, then getting in a Lashing Blade.
Shadow Strike I use this mainly to hold points or fight multiple enemies. TRs can easily kill two, maybe three opponents if they can correctly utilize a rotation with Shadow Strike and ITC.
Wicked Reminder PvE skill. Useful against bosses.
Smoke Bomb Use this against perma-stealth TRs when you locate them to get them out of stealth for awhile. You can also use this next to a DC to temporarily stop the heals.
Bloodbath Bloodbath is an excellent survival skill. This has saved me so many times when I’m holding points. If there’s multiple enemies on you at once, use Bloodbath to buy yourself a few more seconds of life, time for teammates to arrive, cooldown times, regen, etc.
Lurker’s Assault I pretty much only use Lurkers when I want to have some fun and try to one-shot people with Lashing Blade. Lurkers can actually be really useful when combined with Impact Shot. With the insanely quick stealth regeneration, you can get in a full 6 impact shots in a couple of seconds.
Whirlwind of Blades A chance to do 15k or so to multiple targets with a crit? Sure, why not.
Courage Breaker This can be useful in 1v1s (If dailies are allowed, which you should always agree upon before the fight if it’s a planned 1v1).
Shocking Execution Excellent last resort skill. I don’t like to spam shocking execution every time my AP is full. I mainly use this if A) I’m fighting someone with low HP and I’m about to die, B) I’m fighting a tank cleric who is almost dead, C) I’m fighting a sentinel GWF who is almost dead, or D) I kill someone, their soulforged procs and it annoys me =P
*Three extra Heroic Feats due to Human character.
Basically I go for as much DPS as possible. The point in Action Advantage is purely a required point to get to the next row. The point in Improved Cunning Sneak is basically a filler also. 20% extra stealth you would receive from maxing that is only about 1 second, and does not compare to the perks from the other feats.
I haven’t completed all my boons yet, because of laziness, but these are the most important.
- Crit caps pretty hard, so power and deflect over crit.
- Armor pen and regen are the main focuses of my TR, so those are a given.
- HP is important for TRs in high-end PvP.
- 3% deflect severity and 2% faster AP gain are negligible.
Hopefully some of this is helpful for TRs in PvP. Props to you if you read it all; I know it was a lot, but I had a lot of information to share. Feel free to comment or ask questions about anything here. See you in PvP!
12/30/13- Replaced Nimble Blade feat with Critical Teamwork. Thanks to Stox for input.
12/31/13- Made clear that increasing my HP is a work in progress.
1/3/14- Edited first picture to clearly reflect the changes from Critical Teamwork.
1/3/14- Switched two offense slots from dark to silvery and two defense slots from silvery to radiant.
1/12/14- Updated with new Bloodcrystal Raven Skull stats.